Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

White Ace Page Question

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 641Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
89 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stlspidey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ok I want to use these pages but,need to modify them.I am collecting US commemoratives but only the ones I like. How do I make pages with the White Ace descriptions and stamp frames using only the stamps I want on each page? I hope that makes sense. Thanks for putting up with all my questions!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
568 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If it's just for your use. I guess Scan a blank page for your base. Scan their album for the descriptions, into a PDF, have Acrobat recognize the text and cut/paste what you want on your pages. As for the frames, they might copy well, but it doesn't take much to measure theirs and draw your own. For the US, 90% will be the same 5 or 6 sizes which you can save in a graphic library in Visio, MS publisher and most other graphics softwares.

There are a number of good threads here about making your own album pages.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stlspidey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I just do not have the equipment or knowledge to do it. Do you do work for other people?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
568 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On occasion I'll lend a hand but not generally for something like this, I am up to my ears in projects as it is.

You obviously have a PC, I would recommend getting a scanner, a decent one is really not that expensive and there are a lot free software packages for album or graphics creation. You just need to find one that is user friendly.
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stlspidey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I only have a chromebook
Pillar Of The Community
United States
704 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, you'll also need a scanner, printer, and Adobe Acrobat (the full version, not just Reader). Here's your chance to better yourself and develop a skillset.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
558 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rather than fool around with cut and paste or the cost of software, you might be better served making your own pages using AlbumEasy. You can make your own borders, frames, colors, text, alignments, etc. using the built-in text editor. The software is free, as are the album pages already made by others. All are accessible from thestampweb.com. Here's a good reference section with video tutorials.

https://www.thestampweb.com/albumea...ocumentation

There is a learning curve to writing the text files, but the built-in Wizard is a big help for beginners. You have to determine the frame dimensions for each stamp based on how you intend to mount them and how much free space you want around the stamp inside the frame. A stamp in a split-back mount (i.e. Prinz or Scott) requires a larger frame size than if that same stamp is mounted with a standard hinge. Fortunately, US commemorative stamps are limited to just a few sizes, and are either horizontally or vertically oriented. Commemorative panes come in a wide variety of sizes.

A quick cheat is to download the text file for a set of already created album pages (i.e. Bill Weston's "USA Classic") and copy the appropriate sections/dimensions from those. For example, I use Scott mounts for all my US stamps and make my own pages with AE. I have several free topical albums available on the AE site under "USA - United States". Here are the frame sizes - in millimeters - that I use for 95+% of the single US commemorative issues.

Horizontal commemorative: 52x35
Vertical commemorative: 35x52

Assuming you already have access to the White Ace descriptions for the stamps you want to collect, you could just copy and enter that information into the AE text file you create and print the pages on 65 pound (or heavier) card stock.

Here are two examples of my AE pages:

Edited by uboatnut - 10/03/2021 5:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6567 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   5:31 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another, simpler method would be largely to restrict the computer use to word processing. Have a look at NSK's stunning pages here

http://goscf.com/t/78697&whichpage=1#709872

You could add your own White Ace-style background information or prints of images.
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stlspidey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone! I just do not have the money to buy all the stuff required.
Pillar Of The Community
1085 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   11:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1. Buy the Steiner page-printing CD disc (or subscribe for one year) and upload the countries you want to your computer:
https://stampalbums.com/

2. Upload each of the uploaded files you want to work on to a 'PDF to (Microsoft) Word' program such as this one:
https://lightpdf.com/pdf-to-word

3. These files are now in MS Word and can be (somewhat) altered as you would any Word document. You can change headings, remove borders, and add descriptions. It's a little fidgety, I will admit, but I've been able to get good-looking redone page designs with improved fonts and no page borders out of these files. I can then print them on bordered blank paper using a photocopy machine (at someplace like Fedex).

NEW PAGE HEADINGS: Type up the heading in the font and size you prefer, choose "cut" or "copy," then highlight the old heading on the page and hit "paste". The new heading will take the place of the old one. I use larger fonts (12 or even 14 points) in a slightly fancier style than the originals. Try 'Engravers MT,' for example.

REMOVING BORDERS: To remove the border from a page in Word, simply place your cursor on one of the corners of the border and hit "backspace" to delete it. If that doesn't work, select a different corner of the border and try again. Sometimes it takes two clicks of the backspace key to work. Like I say, it's a little fidgety. Generally I do this first before any editing of pages. It's a bit mindless . . . so it's very relaxing.

DESCRIPTIONS: Same as adding new headings. Type what you want to put above or below each stamp, then "copy" and "paste". I've found this is the least likely to work -- unfortunately -- due to the formatting (or whatever) of the pages. Even converted to Word documents, it's difficult to add more than a short description. And it's often difficult to add the description exactly where I want it. But be patient. You can make most of this work.

Also, using the 'Layout' option (at the top of the Word document), selecting 'Left' or 'Right' can spread out the words more. But only to a point. It would be nice if you could type a longer description and have it fit comfortably, but short phrases of few words work much better.

Despite some obvious limitations with this system, it has the advantage of your being able to reuse the stamp boxes from the original page layouts, and so on, which is a major benefit compared to making each stamp box yourself one-by-one. I can make new improved pages at the rate of one every 2-3 minutes, often faster. I omit stamps or entire pages I don't wish to collect by deleting those stamps from a page's layout. It's a bit tricky moving stamp boxes around, etc, and I'm not always successful. But it can be done.

This should also work with any other digital page layouts, I imagine. Once they're in Word, you can edit them for your use. There is another option I've read about using PowerPoint, but though I've tried it I haven't been able to make it work well at all.

I do this so I can print on Scott bordered blank pages. I end up with Scott-looking pages with the Steiner layouts on them, including only the stamps I wish to collect and omitting the others.

The Steiner page rules forbid selling his pages, including "improving" them for sale or profiting from his page layouts in any way. Makes good sense. What you do with the page layouts for your own use appears to be just fine, and in any case, can't be knowable (if they're only for your use). I started by making borderless 'originals' on my home printer to print (photocopy, really) on Scott-bordered 'blank' paper in order to fill in small gaps in my albums. I didn't want to buy an entire 50-page group of Scott pages just to get one or two missing pages. This method worked very well for that. From there, I started making better-looking foreign album pages with improved headings for countries and topics no album publisher sells pages for. And so on.

Have fun.
Edited by DrewM - 10/04/2021 12:21 am
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 10/04/2021   12:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stlspidey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much. That will not work on a chromebook though. Oh well I will just have to do it by hand.
Pillar Of The Community
1085 Posts
Posted 10/04/2021   12:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Time to upgrade your computer? I use an iMac, but any Apple laptop or home computer -- or any other computer -- should work just fine, even a very inexpensive one. It's one of the reasons I have a computer, in fact. It's just saving files, then converting them, then editing them in Word. Each step is very simple with the instructions mostly right there on the screen,even if the whole process seems like a lot to do. Loading Steiner files from his website (or CD) to my computer takes only minutes. Click the button and they load. Converting a file from a PDF to Word takes less than 1 minute. And so on. Not sure exactly why a Chromebook wouldn't work, but then I'm not a 'computer guy'.
Edited by DrewM - 10/04/2021 12:28 am
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 10/04/2021   12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stlspidey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah me either.
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 10/04/2021   01:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stlspidey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think I will use a rubber stamp for the individual stamp frames.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35842 Posts
Posted 10/04/2021   02:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think I will use a rubber stamp for the individual stamp frames.

Be aware the ink may bleed
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8508 Posts
Posted 10/04/2021   08:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stlspidey - If all else fails I would purchase a used White Ace US Commemorative album on eBay or similar, cut out the areas/pieces that I wanted to keep from it, glue stick these onto a page and copy this onto appropriate paper stock. That is if your budget is too constrained right now and technology is not in your favor for whatever reason.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 641Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05