Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cavendish Sale Romanian Lot Estimated At 80 Pounds Hammers For 1900 Pounds

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 472Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7104 Posts
Posted 10/05/2021   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was watching the auction on SAN for a Russia lot and the lot just prior to it was group of 32 early Romanian stamps on a Hagner page along with one cover. It was estimated at 80 Pounds and imagine my utter astonishment to watch it rise to 1900 Pounds before being hammered down. Add the tip on top and somebody paid 2280 Pounds. That is the largest estimate multiple that I have ever seen.

My question is what do other folks see that prompted this. There obviously is something in the lot that is very special. I seriously doubt this being a regular case of bidder exuberance.

Scans of the lot:

See lot 2295:

https://stampauctionnetwork.com/CV/cv83915.cfm#47
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
Posted 10/05/2021   8:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, there is a MAJOR player in Romania buying Romania for a museum he wants to set up. I would guess two dealers trying to buy the cover to sell to him playing chicken.

Maybe a dealer and the collector himself, or his collection conservator.

Very small numbers for his level of wealth.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
Posted 10/05/2021   8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The estimate's legit. I can only imagine two scenarios: some sort of rivalry/ego at play, or the cover is to/from someone the buyer holds dear. I mean, if I stumbled across a cover with a grandparent or other relative, I'd pay through the nose for it.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5961 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   3:42 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still awaiting the eccentric millionaire eBay purchaser, just as I am the wealthy redhead of a certain age, but I've found my recent, rather less exalted, eBay lots of pre-1947 Romania have gone better than I'd expected. Two figures, not four, sadly.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
667 Posts
Posted 10/10/2021   1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A number of years ago, when the Japanese market was at its strongest, Bob Lippert (Detroit) estimated a lot of a half dozen or so old Japanese covers at $50. He prefaced the opening of the lot with "It appears that we blew the estimate." and then proceeded to open the lot at $5,000 and watch the bidding climb from there.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 472Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05