Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Noble Spirit Auction On San But You Bid On Ebay

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 2,243Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9021 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
https://stampauctionnetwork.com/NB/NB1.cfm

Seems like a smart way to get more eyes on your eBay lots. No commission to pay for buyers. Same Noble Spirit.

Thoughts?
Send note to Staff
Edited by rogdcam - 10/06/2021 9:30 pm

Valued Member
United States
218 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
***Harsh Language removed*** It still looks like the same ragtag bunch of jumbled together pieces like it does on eBay, except with a shinier veneer. They act like sorting by country in the table of contents is so cool when most every single one of them has just a single item. This is really gross it makes my stomach churn a little. Hopefully we are immune to the propaganda
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3087 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   7:55 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"They act like sorting by country in the table of contents is so cool when most every single one of them has just a single item"

They couldn't even handle that. They go from Antigua thru Turkey and then back to Ascension thru US then Barbados thru Scotland.
Valued Member
147 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   8:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is hilarious and almost surprising nobody thought of doing this before. Whenever I watch the HR Harmer / Noblespirit conversation videos on youtube, I always feel there is underlying contempt for Noblespirit because they are just eBay shovelware dealers and not serious philatelists. Probably could have done with a brand name change though (sort of like Aldrich / ABC, maybe). I personally don't think I would ever bid on premium singles from Noblespirit.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9021 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We will see how long it lasts. NS will now have SAN fees to pay on top of their (negotiated?) eBay fees.

Can the NS eBay listings push traffic to SAN or is that verboten?
Learn More...
United States
10954 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   9:21 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have concerns with SANS being the target of ransomware hackers just like Hibid.com was last week; large impact, lots of dollars/transactions, single point of service hack.

Companies which diversify across multiple selling platforms are probably wise (even if they do not 'roll their own').
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
644 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those concerns are valid Don. SAN is a technical travesty. They are running on IIS 8.5 which is Windows 2012. The fact that they advertise this stack thru their http headers shows they aren't capable of the basics. When you go to a bad url, you get a public facing stack dump that highlights a coldfusion, apache, tomcat, java stack all on top on Windows. Just a dilapidated tech stack from top to bottom.

I would not stake any business on tech like this. The question of ransomware hitting SAN is not if, but when if they maintain their internet posture as they currently do.

That said I do think the site is undergoing a rehaul, but not sure its got good bones or expertise behind it just judging from the exposed details.

Another positive is the site is rudimentary and like craigslist sticks to providing core functionality extremely well which has contributed to its excellent success.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3087 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   10:57 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"their (negotiated?) eBay fees."

probably
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1034 Posts
Posted 10/07/2021   01:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I clicked on the link in Post #1 to see what they were doing over on SAN, before reading any of the response posts. My impression while over there was, "Couldn't they put these things in any better order than this????" Then I come back here and see everyone else is thinking the same. I am a little leary about bidding on NS offerings, but there are some decent looking stamps in their 'auction'. My 'leariness' will have an impact on how much I bid, so I suspect I will be outbid on anything I might have an interest. Still, I might try.

I may blow all my disposable cash at the Siegel Sale next week, though. I got NO PROBLEM spending my money there.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
142 Posts
Posted 10/07/2021   04:55 am  Show Profile Check Triangle's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Triangle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a search set on eBay which usually picks up items I want to check out. It would find items of interest and not be dictated by the sellers with this clever marketing. Suggest you search eBay as normal, and if they happen to have an item you want, you decide what to do!
I am sure it will drive traffic,potentially getting more interest, more bids and a higher price for the seller and more commission due to eBay and SAN.[Even if they have done a deal to reduce the level they pay]
Pillar Of The Community
United States
623 Posts
Posted 10/07/2021   08:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You all seem harsh. Looks like a variety of nice material. I am sure I have seen plenty of auctions where items are not alphabetical. What's the big deal? It seems pretty easy to search and find the country you're interested in.
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 10/07/2021   10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add xavierstripe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure what's motivating the animus against NS and such eBay "shovel ware" sellers.

Yes, the finer material and high-end collections won't be found there, but there's perfectly good stuff there that forms the basis of many collections.

Perhaps the issue is that they're trying to 'pass themselves off' as a higher-end entity by putting their stuff on SAN?

Difference between NS and Siegel is kind of like the difference between this board and Frajola's board - the latter being for specialized, high-end collectors typically in niche areas. This board is much broader, and (dare I say) friendlier. Both serve a useful need!
Learn More...
United States
10954 Posts
Posted 10/07/2021   11:02 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion there has always been a bit of elitism in the hobby, at least for as long as I have been in it (since the 1970s). Sellers can be classified in many ways no matter what the marketplace; WalMart is different than Saks 5th Avenue. It is not very productive to be snobby when our hobby can should be supporting everyone no matter what they collect or where they shop.

I do agree that buyers should make informed decisions and should know as much about the seller as they do about the material. I also think that buyers should consider the value of forming a solid relationship with sellers who can help them learn and keep an eye out for material they might specialize in. It is false economy to think that you can simply rely upon eBay 'sort by lowest' believing you can build a quality collection for cheap. I also think it valid for buyers to consider whom they are supporting. Buying from a known bad seller, even if you get a legitimate deal, keeps them in business.

But I think that we should support all hobbyists, no matter what they collect or which marketplace they support.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6116 Posts
Posted 10/07/2021   11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So I think NS has hidden reserves on all those new listings, gave it a try and ten bids on one lot told me the reserves are a lot higher than many of the better known auction houses ,so this is really a retail store . Think I put in 30 bids all over the place and not one was the high bid ,no I don't bid nickels and dimes ,many were in line with auction firm bids .

Something else is going on ------maybe to increase eBay traffic or increase dollar amounts of bids but something to me is going on .Those reserves are higher than auction firms that have public auctions .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
623 Posts
Posted 10/07/2021   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
floortrader - Well, that's interesting. Can we inquire as to what general percentage of the listings' catalog value you placed as a bid?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6116 Posts
Posted 10/07/2021   1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
British Colonies was under 1/3 catalog . Worldwide under 1/7 catalog and got no "Your top bidder ". They are testing something and I haven't figured it out yet .I will keep playing with it .
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 2,243Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05