Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Looks Like A Stamp".but

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 427Next Topic  
Valued Member
276 Posts
Posted 10/07/2021   11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add patg23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thought this was a good example for "Looks like a stamp"....but

Third-Class, Regular, Bulk/Quantity-Discount
34.66 P.L. & R as between February 25, 1949 and December 21, 1954

With "Pull Out For Postal Inspection" on back flap.I'm guessing that was for inspection that only printed matter was enclosed??

This was referenced in an older post, but good to re-show.
http://wesewretro.com/2011/11/how-t...ng-patterns/

Included this because it included an example for "Sec. 34.66 P.L.&R" use. Also a great example of a collection based on a simple issue.
https://www.rfrajola.com/Klimley1/Klimley1.pdf

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6512 Posts
Posted 10/07/2021   4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting that they used a violet color for the imprint, mimicking the color used for first class mail of the period (3c Jefferson, or 3c Statue of Liberty).
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1525 Posts
Posted 10/07/2021   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The cover image here looks digitally manipulated to me. The purple stamp-thing and the postmark look like they are half toned or have a lower image resolution than the rest of the cover and appear to have been added to the corner of the envelope image. Just my opinion. Maybe there is weird scanner stuff going on. Absent seeing a high-resolution image, this looks fake to me.
Valued Member
276 Posts
Posted 10/07/2021   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I imagined. Making people think it may be a first class letter, and not some junk flyer.

I tried to find what company by address or permit number, but so far have not.
pat
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2570 Posts
Posted 10/08/2021   03:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The dots are just from halftone printing of a sort. This gives the gray effect (I think) to look less like the stark print of (say) the return address and more like a real cancel on first class mail. Of course, with an addressograph or similarly printed mailing address, it's already a tipoff you're getting advertising.

A 1945 city directory shows McCulloch Bros. at that return address, identified as a mail order company. They also were there as reported in the 1936 directory. My guess is that it's a very good chance that it's them.
Edited by hy-brasil - 10/08/2021 03:38 am
Valued Member
276 Posts
Posted 10/08/2021   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great work on the directory. Thanks!

A little "nothing" envelope, but interesting. I like it.

Three different printing passes(?): Corner card - Addressee - Permit

Pillar Of The Community
United States
564 Posts
Posted 10/08/2021   11:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sec. 435 P.L.&R. = Prior to October 1, 1932
Sec. 562 P.L.&R. = October 1, 1932 to February 25 1949
Sec. 34.66 P.L.&R. = February 25 1949 to December 21, 1954

https://www.precancels.com/how-to-i...d-envelopes/
Edited by jconey - 10/08/2021 11:23 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
564 Posts
Posted 10/08/2021   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I seems unique, I'd keep it if I were you.
Pillar Of The Community
3949 Posts
Posted 10/08/2021   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Permit-imprinted mail is made in huge quantities, but the retention rate is very small. Many have only text instead of a pseudo stamp.

Here are some with with the "Sec 34.66 PL&R" imprint:

Some with the "Sec 562 PL&R" imprint:

Some with the "bulk rate" imprint:

One with a "pre-sorted first class" imprint:

Wood printing block with metal printing surface attached:

Scan of the surface:

Reverse image to be readable:
Valued Member
276 Posts
Posted 10/08/2021   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John,
Nice of you to share. Those are great images and info.
My little cover is not alone.

Some info on permit rules (current) from the USPS.
https://pe.usps.com/text/qsg300/Q60...lass%20name.
Pat
Pillar Of The Community
3949 Posts
Posted 10/08/2021   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And here is a cover and clipping from the "Sec 435 1/2 PL&R" era:
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2570 Posts
Posted 10/08/2021   7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great thread!

Note the Scott lawn care cover. Is that THE Floyd Shockley of first day cachet fame? The cachet maker was from Indianapolis. If so, that might mean he was a packrat like many of us (guilty here).
Edited by hy-brasil - 10/08/2021 8:39 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 427Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05