Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mythological Creatures?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 473Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
89 Posts
Posted 10/07/2021   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stlspidey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I do not own any yet. I am wondering whats out there. Please share yours. Thanks.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1741 Posts
Posted 10/07/2021   11:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There's 23 pages of dragons here as a starter for you:

http://goscf.com/t/21044
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35545 Posts
Posted 04/07/2022   04:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mythological Creatures.
Australia The BUNYIP

The bunyip is a creature from the aboriginal mythology of southeastern Australia, said to lurk in swamps, billabongs, creeks, riverbeds, and waterholes.

The bunyip appears in Ngarrindjeri dreaming as a water spirit called the Mulyawonk, which would get anyone who took more than their fair share of fish from the waterways, or take children if they got too close to the water.[21] The stories taught practical means of ensuring long-term survival for the Ngarrindjeri, embodying care for country and its people.

Illustration 1890 wiki
Edited by rod222 - 04/07/2022 04:57 am
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1204 Posts
Posted 04/07/2022   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello stlspidey

One of my main thematic collections is "Mythologies of the World" on stamps. Of course, the collection includes many stamps show mythological creatures:

Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1204 Posts
Posted 04/07/2022   2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More examples:

Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
Posted 04/07/2022   7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is this the first postage stamp to feature a dragon?

Shanghai Local Post 2ca. Dragon of the first printing, August 1865.

Pillar Of The Community
France
2251 Posts
Posted 04/08/2022   12:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This postal-fiscal stamp from Tasmania (1863) depicts St George fighting a dragon
Edited by vayolene - 04/08/2022 12:49 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35545 Posts
Posted 04/08/2022   01:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is this the first postage stamp to feature a dragon?

I think that would be a fairly safe bet, unless a bizarre local from somewhere.
By 1865 there were only about 105 postage stamp issuing entities.

I checked The Guiness Book of Stamps facts...nothing there.
-------------------
The reference I employ to ID some of the Thai and Nepalese Mythological images
(77 Pages)
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
Posted 04/08/2022   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments - I had forgotten about the Tasmanian postal-fiscals ..

Regarding the Shanghai stamps: The earliest description of the large dragon stamps appeared in The London and China Telegraph
of October 10, 1865. Printed in London, with Shanghai dates to August 16, 1865 it mentions:

"The new local postage stamps are great curios, and should be bought up in quantity to send home for the illumination of postage stamp albums. There are four kinds, viz. two candareens in black - four candareens in yellow - eight in green - and sixteen in red. The size, the superfices, ...... In the centre a device intended to represent a dragon, though unmistakable is a caterpillar glowworm. ... As we say, the local post stamps are curious, figuratives of the time."
Edited by Richard Frajola - 04/08/2022 11:20 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35545 Posts
Posted 04/08/2022   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Christoph Gartner Auction 2019

Up close, the Glowworm / Dragon
Certainly no legs apparent if a Dragon.(Unless represented by the 2 curly bits)
A case of "choose your own opinion?"

After looking at a Chinese Glowworm, I am in the "Dragon" corner,
long body, and fierce face. Not a glowworm for mine.

Edited by rod222 - 04/08/2022 5:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2853 Posts
Posted 04/08/2022   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's some Armenian critters:

They pop up in various mythologies, but in a bit of searching online, there are similar but not exact ones like these in Armenian mythology. So these may refer back to earlier cultures of the region.
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
Posted 04/08/2022   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been working recently on the Shanghai Local Posts. My atest iteration of my exhibit is here:

https://www.rfrajola.com/Shanghai22/Shanghai22.htm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35545 Posts
Posted 04/08/2022   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Look forward to reading in the entirety.
Rarified scholarly pursuit.
Enjoyed the first page, esp the Heraldry ref in the dexter and sinister sides of a stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1204 Posts
Posted 04/09/2022   01:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Richard, great exhibition about Shanghai Local Posts. Thanks for sharing with us.

I think that the best and the most attractive set shows different myths and mythological creatures is the set designed by the Greek artist Dimitrios Biskinis (1891-1947 ) and issued by Greece on November 10, 1935. Here is the complete set on a cover sent registered from Thessaloniki:

At least four of the stamps show winged mythological creatures including winged Dragons (30D. shows Triptolemos):

Edited by LaoPhil - 04/09/2022 01:11 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 473Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05