_____________________________________________________________________The A.E.F. and the Ubangi
In 1939, Oubangui-Chari was part of French Equatorial Africa (AEF), a group of territories comprising: Gabon, Moyen-Congo, Oubangui-Chari, Chad, to which Cameroon is attached, which is a territory under French mandate since the end of the First World War. This immense territory is administered by a governor general installed in Brazzaville, the federal capital. Communication is very difficult between the different governors. No road exists between Brazzaville and Bangui, only the Congo River and its tributary the Ubangi provide a commercial link between the two cities.
There is also no telephone line between the territories, but radio telegraph links which are few and far between. By force of circumstances, the territories live more or less in a closed circuit: Bangui has about 30,000 inhabitants, including 2,000 European settlers.
The military organization broadly corresponds to the administrative organization: a senior commander of the AEF troops in Brazzaville, battalion commanders and military commanders in each of the territories.
Governor Pierre de Saint-Mart administers the Ubangui-Chari while the battalion commander Commas commands the military subdivision and the Oubangui Rifleman Battalion (BTO) This unit includes a staff at the Chad camp in Bangui, a health service, a stewardship service, a mountain artillery section, a military aviation squadron and four detached companies of 130 men each (Kassaï camp in Bangui, command posts in Berbérati, Bouar and Bria ).