Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Kurland Overprint On Hitler's Head SC 511A

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 408Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1057 Posts
Posted 10/10/2021   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add danstamps54 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is an overprint issued during the German occupation of Latvia. Scott mentions it but doesn't assign it a catalog number. It says "fake surcharges abound"

I'm assuming it is a fake surcharge but I have nothing for comparison. Can someone tell me how to distinguish a fake from a real surcharge or point me in the direction of more information?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan

Send note to Staff
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3205 Posts
Posted 10/10/2021   12:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does not look Kosher. The 6 and the top black boxes don't match these:
https://www.germanstamps.net/tr-occ-kur-op/
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
809 Posts
Posted 10/10/2021   1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Kosher"???
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5571 Posts
Posted 10/10/2021   2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your stamp is a forgery ,the overprint letting is thinner and the "6" top half should be bend over and not stand straight up like a "english number six "
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1057 Posts
Posted 10/10/2021   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
floortrader,

Thanks for the pointers! Comparing my copy with the expertized copies on GermanStamps.net that Perf12 provided, I can see the differences.

Thanks
Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
APS Member #223433
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6505 Posts
Posted 10/10/2021   3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Michel Spezial catalog shows two different shapes for the "6" on these overprints.

"Self expertizing" German stamps, in regard to overprints, plate varieties and colors is never a good idea, IMO.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 10/10/2021 3:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5571 Posts
Posted 10/10/2021   4:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with BOOKBNDRBOB , you should not "self expertizing " it takes many years of experience and have your own library and even have your own material before you expertize . Looking at pictures on the internet or looking at pictures in a general catalog doesn't make it . Some issues like the Estonia Pernau issues are very well done the only way to call the fakes are by the light reflection off the overprint were one is dull and the other is shiny and that doesn't show up in a internet scan photo .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1057 Posts
Posted 10/10/2021   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Be careful about how you interpret what is written.
I NEVER claimed to "self-expertize" the stamp. I wrote that the stamp I have was compared to the expertized stamp on Germanstampt.net. (the certificate is on the website). It reflects the differences pointed out by floortrader.
If floortrader is correct, then my stamp is a forgery although I only claimed that I saw the differences pointed out by floortrader.
Dan
APS Member #223433
Edited by danstamps54 - 10/11/2021 12:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3945 Posts
Posted 10/10/2021   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Terminology:
Would it be more correct to indicate the stamp is genuine, but the overprint is a forgery?
To say the "stamp is a forgery" seems loose with terminology and exactness.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6505 Posts
Posted 10/10/2021   5:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is that these overprints must be a favorite for forgers. The supply of stamps is plentiful, and the size and simplicity of the overprint appears to be quite simple to execute with some exactitude. A knowledge of the letterpress/overprint ink is not rocket science.

I have this stamp with expertization by Van Loo, but I personally did not have the stamp expertized, so I am skeptical of its authenticity.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 10/10/2021 5:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3205 Posts
Posted 10/10/2021   7:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So looking up in Michel, there is apparently 4 of the 6 types.The OP's stamp 6 would be type 1II;the narrow type (2.4mm).I don't know if it also applies to MiNr 2...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1057 Posts
Posted 10/11/2021   12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Because the Scott catalog listed this stamp in Latvia, I never thought to check Michel.

As Perf12 notes, there are apparently a number of plate flaws etc.

It looks like this is a stamp that can't be correctly Identified without a BPP certification.

I'm going to note it as a "likely forgery."

Dan
APS Member #223433
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5571 Posts
Posted 10/11/2021   1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You got a problem here ,your talking about a $10.00 or $15.00 stamp , to get it expertized it is going to cost you about $40.00 .Where does that leave you ?
Edited by floortrader - 10/11/2021 1:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1057 Posts
Posted 10/11/2021   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No problem at all! I didn't say I was going to have the stamp expertized. I said that a BPP cert would probably be necessary to properly identify the stamp. I said I am just going to note it as a "likely forgery" = no expertization.
Sorry for the confusion.

Dan
APS Member #223433
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6505 Posts
Posted 10/11/2021   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For what it's worth, I always communicated with the expertizer/Bundespruefer before sending stamps.

Also,I would send 10-20 stamps on a stock card along with a graphic picture/printing showing what I believed each item was, and my correspondence in German and English...along with cash, if required. There was never a problem.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 408Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05