Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About German Reich Watermarks 2x And 2y

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 229Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
92 Posts
Posted 10/12/2021   1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add igopp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am struggling with those watermarks (see picture from Michel catalogue). Sometimes I think I see 2 Y where it would be too good to be true. I wonder if somebody has a good advise on how to deal with this issue. Any suggestions please?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
387 Posts
Posted 10/12/2021   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, two questions come to mind: 1) what are you using to look at/detect the watermarks? Fluid? Scope? Natural light? and 2) you're looking at the stamp in its "proper" orientation when observing, right?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
Posted 10/12/2021   2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add igopp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Classic_paper - thanks, I possibly did not describe my problem accurately. I mostly use fluid (unless I can see WM clearly at natural light). I also have a scope, but somehow it is not helping me with the most difficult watermarks. In case of German WM 2X and 2Y there is no problems to see them clearly - usually they are very well visible even at natural light. My issue is that I cannot find the objective measure defining type X and Y. For example, on attached picture it seems that vertical size of two rectangular shapes is different, but in real life this criteria is very hard to use. So I just wonder what some other collectors using as the criteria.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3202 Posts
Posted 10/12/2021   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
the right lozenge group is more squarish..
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
Posted 10/12/2021   3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add igopp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see. It is interesting that X and Y is not the same watermark rotated by 90 degree - they are actually different!
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 229Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05