Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

#246 Very Weird Like Father X-Mas.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 645Next Topic  
Valued Member
South Africa
48 Posts
Posted 10/13/2021   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rafmal to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
hey everyone , we all good I trust.
my Scott 246 looks a little different .
may the experts elaborate a little of what you think it is.
please

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1542 Posts
Posted 10/13/2021   5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Probably a bit of foreign matter adhering to the paper that subsequently fell off, taking the ink with it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
820 Posts
Posted 10/13/2021   9:57 pm  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is difficult to determine without examining this stamp in person. It may be a scuff, or may be foreign material present, or what Dudley opined.
Valued Member
South Africa
48 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   09:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rafmal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi guys @ orstampman an dudley
thanks and much appreciated for the response ...
i think examining the stamp will help but I don't see any scruff,
like it looks like the paper is normal .. I mean it doesn't look like anyone took a needle and scratched it , and looking closely we can see bits or the ink there. there is also no loose fibre on that area or else where.
and the foreign matter thing , I cant see any sign of anything stuck to it.
guys im only saying what I see . I trust you'll opinion greatly.
maybe a few more close up??
Valued Member
South Africa
48 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rafmal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
if you need more pictures , let me know thanks
Pillar Of The Community
United States
564 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would ditto what's already been postulated.

BUT... Father Christmas, I think not... Uncle Sam would be closer I think.

Edited by jconey - 10/14/2021 11:11 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
817 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Folks seem to be overlooking the white spaces on the jacket in the area where a breast pocket would be.

Closeup scans of all three areas would help. If from foreign matter on the surface of the paper when printed, some level of indent often occurs as well as some level of haloing at the edges of the white area.

Again, close, with a loop, examination of the white areas would be needed to rule out ink removal by adhesion but, given the size and orientation of the white spaces, scuffing seems very remote.

Lastly something could have touched the inked plate and was removed or fell off but took the ink from the plate in those areas with it.
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
IN my opinion it appears to be a beat up stamp with scuffs across the entire face of the printed area.

Edit for clarification
Edited by GMC89 - 10/14/2021 7:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7145 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Father X-Mas
Non-Birthing Person X-Mas
Valued Member
South Africa
48 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   11:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rafmal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@ Parcelpostguy, thank you for your suggestion I think you do make some good pointers .
i will add some more close up later today. thank you very much
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7145 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   12:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Something was adhered to the face and pulled off. That is apparent. It is a damaged stamp. The end.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
820 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   08:11 am  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After re-viewing the stamp image, I think rogdcam may be correct. There are many parts of the stamp that have this adherence/ink-absence (note many spots on Franklin's face), so an overlay removal may have done either/both, perhaps being attached to the backside of a partially gummed stamp, and then attempted to be separated.
Valued Member
South Africa
48 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rafmal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33625 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   01:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I have found "scuffing" difficult to re-produce via scan.
Under a decent magnifier, one can note the damaged fibres on the stamp surface.

Also, where a collector has tried to separate 2 stamps, adhered via humidity, and the lower stamp has part of the face image lifted.
Easily discernible, from a genuine stamp flaw.
Edited by rod222 - 10/17/2021 01:03 am
Pillar Of The Community
3968 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   01:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Scuffing" may be too strong a word here.

Although it may be poor methodology to speculate without the stamp in hand, the effect looks more like a Post-It note was used to pull off random fibers across the entire surface, and thus post-use damage rather than a production EFO.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 645Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05