Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Christopher Plummer Stamp

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 682Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Canada
164 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pwscg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
CITY News last night and the Toronto Star this morning both had a picture and story about the Christopher Plummer stamp issued yesterday.

So why did I not find out about this stamp from Canada Post at least on the issue date if not before as used to be done?
Send note to Staff
Edited by pwscg - 10/14/2021 09:51 am

Pillar Of The Community
817 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yup. I saw it at Canada Post site. Went for details - no date of issue - then a nice circling coloured ring of stagnation...
Something's seriously wrong over there...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
127 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   11:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pollux to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Last week the cartoonists booklet was available but not the 5 first-day covers which are currently on pre-sale only. Availability problem?

Here is the list of the next stamps to be published

Oct 14:Christopher Plummer
P 92c (booklet pane of 10) SA
$5.52 pane of 6
Oct 19:Diwali
P (92c) (booklet pane of 10) SA
Oct 20: Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, 150th anniversary (Commemorative Enveloppe)
Oct 21:Valour Road
$4.60 pane of 5
Oct 29:The Poppy
Nov 1: Christmas Angels
P (92c) (booklet pane of 12) SA
Nov 1: Holiday Characters
P (92c) Santa; booklet of 12 SA
$1.30 Reindeer; booklet of 6 SA
$2.71 Elf; booklet of 6 SA
$4.93 souvenir sheet of 3
Nov 8: Hanukkah
P (92c) booklet of 10 SA
Nov 25: "A novel topic" [Delayed from Sep 8?]
Nov 29: "A stamp with universal appeal" [Delayed from Sep 29?]
Edited by Pollux - 10/14/2021 11:24 am
Valued Member
Canada
164 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pollux,

October 14 was supposed to be a " Canada Post Crown Corporation 40th anniversary" issue according to an earlier Canada Post notice and also reported in the recent September-October Corgi Times.

So I wonder what became of that one!

Peter
Valued Member
Canada
164 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So, a 1:10 pm today I finally get an email from Canada Post regarding this issue and the October 19 Diwali stamp.

Of course, following the links provided gets me to the order pages that have a small writeup and virtually no specifications - no stamp size, printer, printing method, etc.

With Jim Phillips retiring next month, hopefully his replacement will have the desire and ability to press for more timely and more comprehensive information for stamp collectors. Maybe we can go back to the old quarterly 8 1/2 x 11 inch Stamp Details - that was an excellent publication!
Valued Member
Canada
409 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add studystamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Corgi Times speculated (actually I, the editor, did) that the Oct 14 Canada Post new issue would be for the 40th anniversary of Canada Post Corporation. That was based on cryptic information presented in one of their ordering magazines … that has turned out to be incorrect.

I saw the ordering information for the new Christopher Plummer stamp in the Canada Post online store yesterday afternoon (the day before release).

I agree, as a collector I wish this product announcement information was available sooner.

Robin Harris
Valued Member
Canada
127 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pollux to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
pwscg,

As per 'Bitter Grounds espresso, stamps & conversation', The Crown Corporation 40th anniversary" issue was not confirmed but was supposed to be issued on oct 14.

Info from the Canada Post website about the Diwali stamp. "This stamp was canceled on October 19, several weeks before Diwali, which falls this year on November 4."
Look like someone didn't look at the callender properly before making the announcement !!!
Edited by Pollux - 10/14/2021 5:16 pm
Valued Member
Canada
164 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pollux,

As Sak said earlier "Something's seriously wrong over there...".

When I looked at the Canada Post link for the Diwali stamp earlier, I did not notice the statement at the end about the cancellation. So, are they moving it to November 4th then? It's not clear on the site whether they are just postponing the issue or cancelling it altogether.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1228 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sak, that rotating circle appears constanly and looks like its chasing its tail! Reminds me of the way our economy and some buisnesses are run, trying to reinvent themselves. It used to be great to get magazines before the issues were released. Now we don't get them until weeks after issue date. Even online ordering is onerous as everything appears mixed up with little order or reason. Even if they posted messages about delays or changes on the website would be extremly helpful. I used to like the old order sheets that came with the magazines as they detailed everything including extra printings, paper changes or printer; and it was organised!
Edited by No1philatelist - 10/14/2021 10:13 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
314 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   04:04 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

One of my favorites.

John
Valued Member
Canada
127 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   10:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pollux to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
pwscg

Specifications

Issue Date October 19, 2021
Stamp Value Permanent™ domestic rate
Quantity Produced 80,000
Valued Member
Canada
164 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pollux,

That I saw ... its the new date, if any, for the Diwali stamp that I was wondering about, since the October 19 date is cancelled.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
817 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
However...
the illustrated OFDC has October 19...

Valued Member
Canada
164 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sak

I wonder if its just an illustration for advertising purposes. If the covers have already been prepared along with the dates, Canada Post will have to scrap them and do new ones.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1228 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pwscg, The issue date for the Diwali stamp and cancellation date on the cover is on October 19, 2021 as Pollux mentions.
Valued Member
Canada
164 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   09:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No1philatelist,

Near the end of the text on the Canada Post listing, it says "This stamp was cancelled on October 19, several weeks ahead of Diwali, which falls this year on November 4."

From a an earlier post by Pollux, I understood that this meant that the issue was cancelled i.e. the stamp would not be coming out on October 19.
But, on reflection, perhaps that statement simply meant that the stamp was being issued several weeks ahead of the actual occasion. Very confusing! If the latter, then maybe "postmarked" rather than "cancelled" would have been a better choice of words.

Well, we will find out for sure this coming Tuesday.

Peter
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 682Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05