Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1852 Nederland's 5 Cent Stamp

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 604Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
South Africa
48 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rafmal to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
hey All....
i have this stamp , its an imperf , the closest I came to in matching it was to a Scott 1b , water mark 158 , plate 1 , type 1A .
can you guys please have a look and tell me if im right

i must apologise I cannot find the world stamp forum

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
656 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That looks like the normal blue to me, not the steel blue shade. So Scott #1, too bad about that left margin.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7713 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a Scott 1. The first Dutch issue has three stamps, 5, 10 and 15 cent. The 5 cent has several plates and the 1b is more or less a Scott invention. There is a rare plate in the 5 cent value, but you'd have to plate the stamp. Your picture is too small for me to be able to plate it. If you can post a larger scan I can try to see what plate and how scarce it is

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
1115 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
strengthened top right outer frame and break at lower right plus clear line around "POST" and "ZEGEL" occur on early plate 1, but also plate 2. It might be a plate 1. As Petert4522 writes, the type 1A appears to be a Scott thing. NVPH recognises 1a, 1b, and 1c, but they appear to be stages of use with progressive plate wear and not trule a different type. It also notes early printings from plate 2 (numbered 1d) are very much like those early ones from plate 1.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5565 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott doesn't invent anything . The various plates have different shades . Scott as a publisher will research how various dealers are selling them and then consul with experts and then design their published results as catalog listings from what they were told .

To tell which stamp it is you need to be able to identify the paper because there is also thin paper and ribbed paper types
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7079 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Scott doesn't invent anything .

They may not invent anything by definition but they are surely not specialized and that is where things can go awry. I just went through this with some Russia material wherein Scott listings, besides having their catalog values all screwed up, for the various types of Russia 590-5 are on a completely different page from Michel and Zagorsky when it comes to perforation rates and paper types.

I stick with the Country specific catalogs for detailed information.

Scott is great for US!
Pillar Of The Community
1115 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   01:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The various plates do not have different "shades." The printings have different "shades." Some are unique to a plate, some occur with multiple plates.
There is no mention whatsoever in the NVPH catalogue of the use of more than one type. Within plates, there are differences that appear to have occurred during transfer.

Based on billsey's reply, this "type 1A" is a steel-blue stamp. NVPH records steel-blue colours for plates I and II. Both are stamps that appear to have been printed from worn plates. Neither appears to have the strengthened top right outer frame. But Scott's colours rarely are our colours.

Edited by NSK - 10/15/2021 01:43 am
Valued Member
Canada
170 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   04:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've spent a fair amount of time plating this issue. In my experience, the only way to be sure of the plate is to identify the actual position on the plate. There were 6 plates of the five cent value, so 600 possible positions. Colour shades and postmarks can help narrow this down, but rarely give a definite answer.

To my eye, your example appears to be blue or dark blue, so would be plate 1, 2, 3, or 4. To go further, a much better scan is needed.

Jan
Pillar Of The Community
1115 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   05:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Forget about the colour of the stamp in the picture. It is not just your eye, but also the scanner and your screen that determine the colour you are observing.

What you see, likely, is not what is there. What you see, likely, is different from what I see. If another scanner had been used, we, probably, would see yet another colour. Much has been written on SCF about colour recognition.
Edited by NSK - 10/15/2021 05:15 am
Valued Member
South Africa
48 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rafmal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hey guys I'm overwhelmed , I never expected this kinda response , well firstly I posted this topic on the wrong forum, and it got PUT in its place by the Authorities ...LoL. anyways , @Petert4522. I will post some bigger pictures ...like I say, im gonna try , image optimiser is just set to certain size. but try I will.
and A very big thank you to you @Petert4522 .
Valued Member
South Africa
48 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rafmal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@billsey . yes my friend I guess the PO. never knew which side of the line to cut on. thank you my friend
Valued Member
South Africa
48 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rafmal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@ NSK .. you do make a very good point as I been trying to research this stamp , I noticed that it does not really match any of them as the the frame lines are broken on 2 corners but mine its on 1 corner then there's those diamond lined on the above mid left. they there but ..not all the same. I dont understand the "T" story,.because I see the T on the last Blue stamps. its like it has part of 3 stamps....if you understand what I mean. but great for all you input. thank you
Valued Member
South Africa
48 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   12:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rafmal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@ floortrader . oh wow I never knew that. I Never taught to look at the paper until you mentioned it. I will try to research more on the paper, if you know of a site that I could search, I will greatly app it. thank you my friend
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5565 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
RAFMAL ---Here is the first of three pages I have on this stamp there are 10 plates on this issue . I collect to Scotts other than three types of paper and four colors varities I can't as a world collector start getting into all the plates . Color is fine and leave it at that .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5565 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   1:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5565 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   2:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
RAFMAL ---Here is my problem in showing color on this website ,In daylight these colors are correct there are 4 different shades but on this page it shows clearly four shades but anyone looking here will say "floortrader your scan colors are all wrong to what I see "
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 604Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05