Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1852 Nederland's 5 Cent Stamp

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 613Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
1124 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know where the 10 plates come from. There are six for the 5 cent, ten for the 10 cent and one for the 15 cent.

According to NVPH, the first printings from plate I were mostly on thin paper.

NVPH states exactly what Jan wrote about the need to know the position of the stamp to be able to plate it
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by NSK - 10/15/2021 5:54 pm
Valued Member
South Africa
48 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rafmal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@ floortrader .thanks for your comments, yes you right colour is a big problem, never can get the actual colour on the computer .
and thanks for the information on the stamps I will have to have a look at them, thanks
Valued Member
South Africa
48 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   12:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rafmal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
here are some bigger photos, hope this helps. thanks @ j2186

Valued Member
Canada
170 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Much better scan.

It appears to me to be Plate 3, position 7 (based largely on the scratch above the T in POST and the open lower corner).

According to the NVPH catalogue, the colours of this plate vary from dark blue (most common) to blue to light blue. Yours appears to be dark blue or blue, but one would need to see the stamp in hand to be certain.

Jan
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7719 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I do agree with Jan on two points. It looks like plate III position 7. My own copy also has the scratch over the g of zegel and the spot right above the right bottom corner on mine is a thin line. I probably have an earlier version of this stamp.
Plate III must have been made out of fantastic material - it seems to be the most common of the six 5 cent plates. Yours is a beautiful copy even with the close left side!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3761 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I sold this stamp a while ago, but thought it would be nice to plate it, if possible. Appears to be a scratch or plate crack on left side. Any ideas?

Valued Member
Canada
170 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say plate 4, position 70.

The scratch/crack you show is apparently not a constant feature, and is really hard (almost impossible) to see in the images I have of this position. However, the lack of an inner frame line under the 5 does confirm this position.

Jan
Valued Member
South Africa
48 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   11:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rafmal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
maybe this will help guys

Valued Member
South Africa
48 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rafmal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
South Africa
48 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   11:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rafmal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
well one thing I can say for sure is that the colour is dark blue
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7719 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   09:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
well one thing I can say for sure is that the colour is dark blue

That is not quite correct. On this issue there are very dark blue examples. Rafmal, yours is sort of in the middle range.

Peter
Valued Member
South Africa
48 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rafmal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
so guys ..thanks you very much @ALL of you . atleast now I know what stamp I have. cheers and have a great day
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 613Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05