Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unitrade 1533Asi - Double Print.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 622Next Topic
Page: of 2
Rest in Peace
7742 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Was looking through a pile of Canada stamps a friend sent me from Norway of all places.There were a couple thousand stamps. Found this Unitrade 1533asi among them.

It is a really good example of the "Double print of red Canada" and "Double print of green- Christmas-Noel" on this series of "Christmas Carolling".

Robert

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1236 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, nice! I have to ask. If this is a known double print and the second set of characters is lighter than the original, why was the one you showed on another post, Scott 1169, probably only considered a slip print because of the lighter printing of the second Characters?

http://goscf.com/t/78791

Mike
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by No1philatelist - 10/14/2021 10:46 pm
Rest in Peace
7742 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   11:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mike
I think the Scott 1169 may be a "slip print", so I went to Ralph's re-entry.com and looked under the terminology for Look at the picture from his site which is a true "double print"...The double is dark and light.

Unitrade shows the 1533asi as a double print in their catalouge...Mine is exactly the same.

Quote:
Ralph's SLIP PRINT
To create a slip print, (sometimes called a 'slurred' print), the paper was somehow shifted slightly while the paper was in contact with the plate, either touching the plate just before it was properly positioned, or pulled from the plate a little too quickly before the ink had properly separated from the plate on to the paper, drawing the ink away slightly in one direction, giving it a doubled effect.
Robert

Quote:
Ralph's DOUBLE PRINT
A true double print is just that - printed twice, from a fully inked plate, receiving two complete, full impressions

Edited by wert - 10/14/2021 11:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1236 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   11:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, I have always had trouble with the interpretations of some of the terminology. Not with yours, in this instance, but of the catalogues themselves. I question some of the terminology used, whether right or wrong.

In my understanding, If double print means - "printed twice from a fully inked plate receiving two complete full impressions", why doesnt the green or the red show two full inkings?

And if slip prints- are usually blurred or dragged with lighter secondary impressions?

It's confusing; and food for thought.

Mike
Edited by No1philatelist - 10/15/2021 10:39 pm
Rest in Peace
7742 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   08:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mike
Here a a good picture of Ralph's double print of the cent Queen..Changed colour to make it easy on our eyes...Close up of my double print.

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1236 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is interesting that your 1533 Christmas stamp is slightly different from the one in the catalogue. Yours has the lighter second print after the main one, whereas the Unitrade catalogue has the lighter characters before the main one.
Edited by No1philatelist - 10/15/2021 10:43 pm
Rest in Peace
7742 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi No1philatelist
The difference is my double print is to the right of the first print while Unitrade shows theirs to the left of the first print...
Different eh..??

Hey No1philatelist...Never thought as we noticed the opposite shift in double print..Maybe a variety on the variety...haha

Robert
Edited by wert - 10/15/2021 11:20 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
476 Posts
Posted 10/20/2021   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The problem I have always had with the term "double print" in relation to modern stamps is that it means that the stamp was printed twice and I do not see how that is possible with modern reel fed presses.

I know it is just terminology and I like the original images at the top of this thread I would just prefer a more accurate name for these varieties.

AQ

Rest in Peace
7742 Posts
Posted 10/20/2021   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would just prefer a more accurate name for these varieties.

Hi AQ
Maybe you should contact Ralph Trimble at re-entries.com
He is the expert of re-entry terminology.

Pillar Of The Community
3971 Posts
Posted 10/20/2021   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do not see how that is possible with modern reel fed presses.

I agree with this direction of thought.

Somehow a different explanation is needed between somewhat similar results coming from sheet fed (flat plate?) versus roll-fed (rotary?).
Pillar Of The Community
3585 Posts
Posted 10/21/2021   11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For CBN engraved (intaglio) printed sheet and booklet stamps, sheet-fed dry printing rotary presses were used. For CBN engraved (intaglio) printed coil stamps, web-fed dry printing rotary presses were used.
Rest in Peace
7742 Posts
Posted 10/21/2021   1:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just_fella...Good one
Hmmm...Does make sense.

Robert
Sorry you removed your reply Just_fella..I liked it.

Can you re post it again my friend..
Edited by wert - 10/21/2021 1:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1199 Posts
Posted 10/21/2021   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not very good at explaining,
It's basically a transfer of energy/air a ripple or flutter from a sudden stop
the momentum catching up
Edited by Just_fella - 10/21/2021 1:08 pm
Rest in Peace
7742 Posts
Posted 10/21/2021   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not very good at explaining

You live 25 mins from me...I will help you put the funny/good post..haha

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1199 Posts
Posted 10/21/2021   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We may have met before :) I could be wrong
I met a man Robert, last year or so off a Kijiji add
This man specialized in Canadian stamps and oddly enough lives about 25 or so minutes away
Could just be a coincidence
Edited by Just_fella - 10/21/2021 1:14 pm
Rest in Peace
7742 Posts
Posted 10/21/2021   1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Was not me..But I do go to the Hamilton Stamp Club at 1824 Rymal Rd E, Hamilton.

Robert
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 622Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05