Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tunisia 2fr Brown Scott #138 (1931), Different Sizes?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 184Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
965 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   06:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add spain_1850 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am currently working on mounting the stamps of Tunisia and came across this stamp with 2 different sized printed images.

Both stamps are perf 12.5.

The stamp in front, in the picture, measures 21.75mm (approx) top to bottom, while the stamp behind it only measures 20mm.

At first I thought they might be 2 different issues, but my catalog gives no indication of any other issues other than #138.

Maybe it says something about them in a YT catalog? I just don't own any other references yet. Ideas?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1016 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   07:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No variations on the 2f value mentioned in either Yvert or Maury, just a colour variety (brun vs. brun foncé (dark brown)). The 20f is a similar colour, and Yvert states it is slightly smaller than the 2f.

I compared a brun to dark brown 2f, and the lighter brown was smaller than the dark brown (in both dimensions), so that is consistent with what you found.

I'll put a plug in for the new Yvert French colonies edition, excellent resource.

~Greg
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by gmot - 10/15/2021 07:23 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
965 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   08:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
gmot - Thank you for checking. I'm pretty sure these 2 do at least represent the 2 shades listed then, but I will make a note of the size difference in my computer file, just in case something else pops up later.

Now, back to my mounting, where I must modify the Steiner page to include this shade.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2046 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The size of the stars inside the crescent are quite different in the 2 examples shown above.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
656 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are forgeries of these made for the packet trade, according to Tyler. Perhaps one of your is one?
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 184Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05