Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Category Field To Help Search

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 8 / Views: 263Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
1125 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add NSK to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Would it be possible to add a field that categorises threads by country and/or theme?

Presently searching for Ireland will also include hits where someone with a signature stating "Ireland" has contributed even if the thread has no relation to Ireland. Also, Ireland and Éire are two possible searches. Ireland may also include Northern Ireland stamps that are not related to Éire as a collecting area, but UK stamps.

On the subject of the UK, the area often referred to as Great Britain, actually is the UK of GB and Ireland until 1922, and GB and Northern Ireland thereafter.

Similarly, - keeping to my home country - Dutch stamps relate to the Netherlands. These are inscribed "Nederland" in Dutch.

When running a search on most of these, frequently, more than 50% of posts are completely irrelevant and some relevant posts remain invisible.

And let's not start about Germany.
Send note to Staff
Edited by NSK - 10/15/2021 10:49 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2573 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not a bad idea, but the internal search seems to be continually under upgrade/repair/whatever these days. Plus there seems to a limit on number of results returned, at least for using a Google search.

A major problem is that there are MANY threads where (for example) the country name is never mentioned, in the title or in any posts.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by hy-brasil - 10/16/2021 2:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
1125 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking of a searchable field added to the thread title. Enter the title and click on a "subject" in a drop-down list.

I only get 10 pages with the Google search. And most have nothing to do with the subject.
You cannot force people to add this field (I would suggest a default setting "other"), but you can force everyone who does to use a common name.

No doubt people will enter an incorrect value, but hopefully hits will be more relevant and there will be more relevant hits.
Edited by NSK - 10/16/2021 3:36 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3762 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   3:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A major problem is that there are MANY threads where (for example) the country name is never mentioned, in the title or in any posts.

And that is why I've changed my posts to include the Country, the Scott Number (since that is my main catalog), and a description of the stamp or the actual question/issue. That way interested people can easily see before clicking and opening.

A similar strategy to some of the leading indicator charts at work. If you want someone to look at and use your information, make sure that they can look at it and understand within 15 seconds what you are trying to show. Too many people put up large data tables and expect people to understand. A better strategy is a trend line with a goal line, and perhaps the competitor line. Works every time. (Just my thoughts.)

But back to the main point, I do find searching for some things a little frustrating at times, but I understand there are limitations. I'm on the ropes whether I would sacrifice speed or accuracy.
Forum Dad
USA
1724 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I added a search box to individual forum pages if that helps. But unless someone wants to go through and assign a country to 80,000 topics this can't happen.
Pillar Of The Community
3966 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One thing I learned from a former boss at a former job is to be VERY specific in email memo lines.
The same applies to eBay sales - the title line must be rich in relevant keywords.
The same holds here. The Community would be better served by better title lines - the responsibility of all of us.
Why do we have "Piggys for Leann" instead of "Topical: pigs on stamps"?
Why do we have "Baaaa! Baaaa!" instead of "Topical: sheep on stamps"?
Why do we have "Checks Mix... It's Tasty", which has nothing to do with food, as it implies?
Cutesy titles are a disservice and should be discouraged from the start and reworded as they come along. It is perhaps unfortunate that creating a new thread in a US or Canadian or postcard category usually means feeling it unnecessary to repeat that same general topic identifier in the title.
Agreed, going backward would be quite a task.
And for my own irony, I tend to post a lot of images in my replies and not too many words thus making it harder to find them in the future also.
Pillar Of The Community
1125 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@bobby131313

Is it possible to assign all existing threads a default "other?"
I would not have a problem going through existing threads I started and change it where necessary.
Edited by NSK - 10/17/2021 2:08 pm
Forum Dad
USA
1724 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One thing I learned from a former boss at a former job is to be VERY specific in email memo lines.
The same applies to eBay sales - the title line must be rich in relevant keywords.
The same holds here. The Community would be better served by better title lines - the responsibility of all of us.
Why do we have "Piggys for Leann" instead of "Topical: pigs on stamps"?
Why do we have "Baaaa! Baaaa!" instead of "Topical: sheep on stamps"?
Why do we have "Checks Mix... It's Tasty", which has nothing to do with food, as it implies?
Cutesy titles are a disservice and should be discouraged from the start and reworded as they come along. It is perhaps unfortunate that creating a new thread in a US or Canadian or postcard category usually means feeling it unnecessary to repeat that same general topic identifier in the title.
Agreed, going backward would be quite a task.
And for my own irony, I tend to post a lot of images in my replies and not too many words thus making it harder to find them in the future also.

Couldn't agree more, I've been thinking about raising the minimum characters but when I implemented it at all some people had hissy fits.

I actually got one like this.... ID my Stamp (extra characters)
Pillar Of The Community
1125 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looking back, I would use "Éire - Ireland Post 1940 Definitive Stamps" instead of "Ireland Post 1940 Stamps." I did something like that in the "Éire – Ireland 1922 Irish Symbols Definitives" thread.
  Replies: 8 / Views: 263Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05