Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 112 Plate Scratch Flaw In 1

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 351Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
43 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Wshuwahere77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All-

I'm missing 112 and have been looking at getting one over the past few months. I keep noticing on some of the stamps up for auction have this scratch to the right of the 1. Is this a known plate flaw? I have seen it a few times now. Happy to read about it if anyone can point to something useful. Thanks.

Another on eBay with the same scratch
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234229398240
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
802 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not a plate scratch. A scratch causes a depression in the plate surface where ink would collect and then print on to the stamp paper as a line of color.

For such to be caused by a scratch with a loss of ink, the scratch (or damage) must occur on the transfer roll. That then causes a raised area on the plate image causing a lack of color (ink transfer). Such would produce a constant variety.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
73 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pbmorris to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just checked mine and it looks like a consistent flaw.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
900 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have one that looks like more than a scratch:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3759 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I always thought that was part of the design. Here's my used copy.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7079 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   12:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most of the 112's in Siegel's database have the same feature including intact blocks. 123's do not.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
43 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   06:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wshuwahere77 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all! I find it interesting that some have it and some do not. even on blocks! Wonder what caused that. see below from siegel database.

With it

Without
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7079 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   08:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I reviewed a LOT of plate proofs on cardboard and found this one that also has the feature:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7079 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Take a look at this proof on India block:

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
274 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if something more general happened to the transfer roll used for this stamp. I've seen several #112's with similar areas that I thought were scrapes. Perhaps they are not scrapes at all but due to the transfer roll itself. It does seem that the darker the stamp (more heavily inked plate?) the less visible these defects.
Edited by widglo46 - 10/16/2021 09:55 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
274 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is also interesting that the area around the "1" is generally significantly darker than any other area on the stamp. the plate must have collected more ink in that area, and maybe it was more prone to be lifted off when the sheets were stacked.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7079 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the proof on India block I show above you can see the element in question become progressively more pronounced as you go clockwise from the top left stamp.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 351Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05