Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Raritan Auction Sale 91 First Day Strong Bidding

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 345Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7135 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   4:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Well for anyone predicting the collapse of the market for stamps and covers besides US today should be taken into account. 287 lots with perhaps 6 of those passed. Internet bidders shut out by the floor. Most lots meeting or exceeding estimate and in the case of my bid list it was carnage. All Russia material and aggressive bidding. I never had a chance and I was not bargain hunting. I hope that tomorrow is better but I don't see why it would be.

PS: It was not the extreme rarities that did the best for the most part as much as it was the "regular" stuff.

Scott needs to adjust their ancient catalog values. They are a joke in many cases.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5591 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your confusing Worldwide stamps with highly specialized Russian material at a firm that has a huge clientele of Russian collectors .Much like me buying Egypt in 2012 and paying over catalog and many other lots went over catalog by aggressive buyers from the Mideast .

For many advance collectors they wait years for the right auction and when the stuff comes for auction ,catalogs means nothing .

Try buying Tibet right now , there are about five major collections in the world and people are waiting for one of those to come up for auction .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7135 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not confusing anything but you are.

Rogdcam:

Quote:
PS: It was not the extreme rarities that did the best for the most part as much as it was the "regular" stuff.

Last I checked Russia was a "WW" country.

Russia is not Tibet.

Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No offense Rodgcam but Raritan was/is a highly specialized auction. I tend to agree with floortrader that prices overall have peaked and as the economy opens more options become available , prices on stamps are on the decline/ or have stabilized. Then again I am a conservative on pricing as well as everything else.
Regards m

Edit for clarity
Edited by GMC89 - 10/15/2021 6:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7135 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Never any offense take. Healthy debate is an awesome thing as well as becoming endangered in some circles.

Today's Raritan auction was "specialized" in the sense that it featured Russia only. Within Russia, as with other major countries and areas that people collect, are general mainstream sets and singles that comprise most of the material. So if you call selling and collecting one Country specialized you are correct. If you are saying that within the auction was all specialized material that would be an inaccurate statement.

Beyond that most Raritan sales are WW in nature. In other words they sell stamps and postal history from A-Z countries and their auctions have doing extremely well this year.

eBay prices from sellers that I watch are strong as well.

We are dealing with the prison of two ideas here. The market is collapsing or the market is strong. The truth is more likely in the middle.

You can further break things down by small and large lots. Rasdale's next sale is coming. It is "specialized" by definition (yours) because it features and is known for it's bulk material with singles as an also-ran.

PS: Funny how Scott values, at least for Russian mainstream material, lag behind current sales results when we have a 'collapsing" market.
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think prices are collapsing,I don't think they are as of yet on decline.i think they have stabilized in my ballywick, which is US classic period. The stamp market is Huge, SCF has taught me not to see everything through my own little view. Russian can be strong, US can be middling, and Egypt weak all at the same time. Here in the US the economy is opening up, it'll be interesting to see how that effects stamp prices. Obviously there are many factors, but gas prices can effect stamp outcomes at auction.
Interesting to note are Australian friends and their tak on our little endeavor, stamp collecting.
With regards, m
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
583 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's harder to tell directionality because the playing field has leveled quite a bit. The accessibility of using SAN to participate for instance can create a strong crowd one day, and a weak crowd the next. So many factors aside from the material, impact the bid flow, that no single or even a years worth of auctions can speak to direction. It's only recognizable when sample sizes are much bigger (5 years).

Throw an auction on a snowy winter US weekend in NY and bidding could be up 25% if folks don't leave their house and want something to do. A surprise warm day in Jan, and noone sitting at home can crater a turnout. Of course Die hards will not care...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1026 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Might have mentioned this before, but IMO a trend - if any - will only be meaningful with several auctions done and dusted. Maresch & Sparks up here in Canada, Rasdale & Kelleher in the US are the ones I'm following, all are in the next 3-6 weeks, all will have a good selection of collection lots. As did the recent Aldrich and Dutch Country. Will be interested to see if there's consistent price moderation across those auctions for country/WW collections.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7135 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
....and day two was just as strong. I did manage to get two lots by paying up. Floor bidders ruled the roost. I saw quite a few lots go for full or above catalog. I can buy them from Loral for less.

Anyway, it was fun and that is the point for me.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 345Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05