Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Jan 1 1864 Cover From Watkins To Elmira NY

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 170Next Topic  
Valued Member
212 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bobplates to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know little about covers and was hoping that someone could help shed some light on this piece. It is a cover from Watkins(Watkins Glen, NY?) to Elmira NY. Looks like some type of fancy cancel tying the stamp and the Watkins circular strike indicates a Jan 1 1864 mailing date... New Years Day. There are no markings on the back and no enclosed letter or card. The envelope is diminutive.

From what I have read here, there are tons of 1864 covers so I am assuming that it has minimal value. All comments appreciated.

Thanks

Bob
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
3942 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   10:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Watkins, Schuyler County, NY changed to Watkins Glen effective May 1, 1926.

Stamp is a common Scott 65, so the value is in the postal history of the Watkins postmark and anything of note of the recipient.

The fanciness of the killer is in the eye of the beholder. A simple quartered cork is common, however the circular rim around it improves the situation so that some collectors would upgrade it to the "fancy" category.

A "Jan 1" cancel typically has some modest premium, although the post office was open on Jan 1 in those days.

Very normal to have a blank reverse, as backstamping did not come into general practice for another decade or more.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
212 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobplates to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John

Thanks much for the rapid response. I now know something that I did not know before!

Bob
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   07:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Charming cover with a beautiful pen inscription from a turbulent era in our history. Mr. Becker's posts are always worth reading for the knowledge contained. Pretty cover.
Regards m
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1035 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   1:18 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Jan 1 date is pretty cool. I'm still trying to build a calendar with the 3c 1861, and I've found Jan 1, July 4, Dec 25, and not a dated cancel, but a cover with docketing stated Feb 29, 1864....that's the tough one!

Nice cover you have there!
Ray
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 170Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05