Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You Organize/Display Perfins?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 659Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
564 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jconey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I don't see a Perfin specific topic area so I'm posting this here.

I have a good number of perfins but I'm struggling with how I want to display them.

I collect US and US Territories. Over the years I have added many BoB categories. I collect stamps by issue although they aren't entirely by catalog number, they are organized in a way that suits me. Example I'll have a MNH set, followed by pages for each issue in that set including a variants, used example, pair, block, PNS, PB, FDC, booklet pane, souvenir sheet, etc. as appropriate for that issue. Likewise, I also have Precancels for that specific issue arranged by state/city/precancel ID. (Repeat for each issue...)

This does not seem as cut and dry with Perfins. If I do them by issue, most catalogs that I have seen don't give a definitive list of perfins for a particular issue as it was not done by the Post Office, it's done in most cases by private entities.

Sticking black Vario pages in the albums breaks the uniform look/feel of my self-produced albums. I thought about cutting the strips of black top opening mounts and putting them on my pages. So new issues could be moved around and shuffled to maintain alpha order. If I do that instinct is to put them in with the back showing to highlight the perfin, provided the back is clean looking but it seems odd not to have the stamp face showing. I presume I'd include a small paper note as to the Perfin details next to each.

I'm looking for alternate ideas. Pros/Cons…

So, how do you organize and display your Perfins?

If mounting face front, have any of you found putting a neon or bright contrasting color behind the stamp to be an effective way to easily view the perfins?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
816 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.perfins.org/ is the Perfins Club. It's US catalog is as complete as they come and if you have one not listed they want to know about it.

This may be a helpful read: https://www.perfins.org/wordpress/w...ing-1995.pdf

Common organization is face down to better show perfin and then arrange alphabetically by company's name (not the perfin letters).

-------

Now personally, with my perfins, I wait until all my perfin collection holes are filled then when I go to mount them I have no perfins to mount.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
813 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think - not completely sure, but I think - you can get transarent Vario-style pages. Thus, you can see both sides of the stamp. Insert black card between the pages to show off the perfin.
Edited by Ringo - 10/16/2021 5:15 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33621 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From this,

to this...
I focus on information, rather than attractiveness of display.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
637 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love Rod's new system.
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   11:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I collect Danish perfins, and the way I do it is when I get a whole group, I put the stamps with the back side down on the bed of my scanner, then carefully place a sheet of black construction paper over the stamps, and print a scan. Next, I cut out each individual scan, leaving about one millimeter of black edging, so what I have is an image of the perfin in black dots against a white background and a narrow black border, and of course the image is the reverse of what you see on the front of the stamp. Next I mate each perfin image with the original stamp, and place the two "halves" in a clear mount. the majority of Danish perfins are on their standard sized definitives, so for most of them I use 25 mm mounts. I can get five rows of three pairs on a page. I use Steiner pages for my standard Denmark collection so I print Steiner borders and use his standard font to write Denmark and Perfins at the top of the page. Having computer problems at the moment so I can't show an example. One commonly used perfin is the letters L and B intertwined. I believe it was used by a bank, and, because those letters comprise my own initials, I have a separate little sub-collection of them.
On the general topic of perfins, I wonder if anyone on this forum can answer a question I have about them. In the usual way of collecting, you don't run into unused perfins because the whole idea of them is to deter theft, and using them outside the company or organization or governmental agency for which they are intended is a crime, so, I wonder what is the legality of owning unused perfins, even if you don't try to use them?
Edited by waddsbadds - 10/17/2021 12:17 am
Pillar Of The Community
3968 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   01:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... the whole idea of them is to deter theft, and using them outside the company or organization or governmental agency for which they are intended is a crime, so, I wonder what is the legality of owning unused perfins, even if you don't try to use them?

Probably too broad a brush summary. Considering many railroad conductors sold perfinned stamps to passengers, hotels sold to guests, businesses placed them on return envelopes, etc. That said, there might be a proper distinction between government agency perfins and those applied by private entities. But this does run the thread off its original question.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
564 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Parcelpostguy: Thanks, I am a member of the Perfin's Club and have their checklists although I have not purchased the full catalog yet. It's on my list.

Ringo: that's an interesting idea. How about that... I just found clear background Vario pages on Amazon.

Rod222: I like the new pages.

waddsbadds: Interesting idea. I'll have to give that some thought.
Edited by jconey - 10/17/2021 09:22 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
816 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just found clear background Vario pages on Amazon.

Be careful about counterfeits on Amazon. The maker of Vario to my knowledge does not sell "professional packs" of 25, just standard packs of 5. Thus at the price shown I would be afraid of counterfeits.

Lighthouse, the makers of Vario, annually run a 20% off sale on all goods from late November/Early December through the 3-day weekend of MLK US Federal Holiday in January. Ah, now I just don't get it together to order right away, normally I just beat the January deadline by a couple of days or hours.

The clear sheets have only one side of pocket or pockets. The black sheets have two sides of pockets, front and back. So see both sides or hold twice as much showing just one side. Pricing is the same normally.

There is a mixed stamp/cover (target is FDC collectors) sheet with a small pack above a medium (think block of 4) pocket with a cover sized pocket at the bottom if you want to mix covers with perfins and perfin stamps.

Me, in my areas of interest I look for the trifecta of perfins, a precanceled perfin tied by postal marking to a cover, tag or wrapper.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5976 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   2:53 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can also buy Lighthouse material from Nordfrim, which advertises here - free postage over a certain spend.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7144 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Vario 25 count Professional Pack is real:

https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/lighthouse-vario/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
564 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the tips!
Valued Member
Austria
220 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, as I collect perfins worldwide, I have found different ways for myself ... but always with little preprint cards copied from the catalogs. Just with letters and descriptions it is almost impossible to collect some countries (eg. Austria "AG-32E").

Here are my three ways:

1) Albums/Books
Perfect for smaller countries, but I chose them for my Austrian collection (14.500 issues in 11 albums) as well. It's simply more impressive to have your favourite country in books in a row.
But you have to use black pages, with a white background the perforations are very hard to see.

----------------

2) For Germany I made myself some preprint pages and had a nice idea: I bought transparent pages for negative slides. They fit quite well and you can add as many as you like (or covers, information) in the binders. And of course they are much cheaper than the normal transparent pages from stamp dealers.
AND: If you want to see the backside, just turn the page!

----------------

3) I started with GB as well some time ago, and the whole collection would have been around 60 Albums or 40 Binders - simply too many to store them. So I decided to use stockcards and maximum boxes for index cards (A5). Perfect to store, and you can add as many new issues you like. The only problem - I still have to cut the cards out of the printed catalog (7000 PDF pages)!. I'm stuck at the letter D - cutting - at the moment and only have sorted in A already ... it will take me ages to finish it. :-(

------------------

If you need more detailed information, just write me - I have many catalogs as well, that I could share (except GB, Germany, and Austria which have to be bought from the editors). To get started with the US I got myself an old catalog, where I use the "slides"-pages on the original print. Fits quite perfectly.

Edited by tommtomm - 10/18/2021 08:18 am
Valued Member
Austria
220 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   07:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Concerning the Danish "LB" perfin ... there are more than 70 different types of this perfin - all used by the "Den Danske Landmandsbank".
It's quite difficult to find out, who used it. The only way is by cancellation (town) or slightly different hole positions. In the Danish catalog there is a special identification page for these perfins.

And unused perfins ... well I can't speak for US oder GB where many stamps still could be used, in Europe the last perfins disappeared in the late sixties. So it's always quite a surprise to find European unused stamps with perforations, but not impossible. One big company in Austria e.g. perforated many sheets in advance, and after the collapse of the German Reich, the stamps got invalid. So those sheets, pairs and single stamps found their way to the collectors. I have a few hundreds of them.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
564 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
tommtomm: Thanks for the ideas, I like what you've done with transparent sheets with the printed patterns behind. Wow 7000 pages would be quite a print job.!
Valued Member
Austria
220 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I managed to crop and copy six picture columns on each page. Then deleting the pages with no columns. Quite some work, but the final GB Pdf had just 1058 pages. Less costs, but the same cutting ... Including shipping it was around 40,- Euros (German online printing company) and arrived within three days.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 659Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05