Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

This Is Perf 11x10 Scott 540?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 358Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1208 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   3:54 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rlsny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This stamp is perf 11x10 - no question on that. According to the Wash-Frank tables that makes it a #540. But there is offset on the back and that confuses me as 540 is a rotary stamp. What am I missing?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1252 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The perfs & design size do seem to confirm the 540 id. At a guess, while setoff (or offset) is normally associated with flat plate stamps, I suspect that this does not mean that it cannot occur for other printing methods. I have seen modern stamps where ink from one stamp has been transferred onto the gum of another stamp, albeit not through the process of stacking sheets of stamps for drying. Perhaps much the same has occurred for this stamp.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
3582 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   5:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is the offset/setoff above or below the gum?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1208 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   6:25 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it is below the gum.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7605 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's certainly a type III, so it has to be rotary.
Pillar Of The Community
3940 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with revcollector, the Type III characteristics are present, etc.

Thus the set-off must be on top of the gum. Note there are several small gum disturbances which do not appear to show any set-off. Remember, these coil waste stamps sat around for quite a while before being salvaged and sold. Easy to get slightly stuck together and have the gum pick up traces of ink from the adjacent stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1208 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   9:41 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all commenters. At least I have high confidence in the id now. Here is a picture at an angle that shows the gum better.

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 358Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05