Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Different Color Paper On Stamp #1369

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 883Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
3 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add goon712 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone. I am new to the site and relatively new to stamp collecting. I noticed that I had 2 of the same stamp but the paper on each stamp seemed to be of different colors. I included a photo. I'm not sure if the color in the photo will look accurate. One is more beige/pinkish and the other is basic white. Is this normal to occur? Could this have been caused after the stamp was created(by fading or environment)? Is it an error of some kind? Thanks in advance for any help.
Send note to Staff
Edited by goon712 - 10/17/2021 2:01 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7719 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Goon, and welcome to the forum.
As for the paper, sometimes the paper vendor changes. It is also possible that the chemical composition of the paper changes due to the addition of brighteners for instance. It helps if you can check your stamp with Long Wave Ultra Violet light'
Of course, your thought of environmental changes is also possible.
By the way, the best way to show off the paper is to use a matte black background.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 10/17/2021 11:00 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1199 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Different methods of printing? The red looks inconsistent on the right (highs and lows in the ink colour while the one on the left looks smoother) could be the image threw my screen
If they are printed only rotary, I'd say a bad wipe on the roll
Edited by Just_fella - 10/17/2021 11:09 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7110 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Different methods of printing? The red looks inconsistent on the right (highs and lows in the ink colour while the one on the left looks smoother) could be the image threw my screen
If they are printed only rotary, I'd say a bad wipe on the roll

Utter nonsense
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1199 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Meh, could be my screen was just a guess

Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eagle79 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seems some coffee is needed. Might be useful to clarify exactly the 'nonsense' to our first time poster. Just a thought.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7110 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Might be useful to clarify exactly the 'nonsense' to our first time poster. Just a thought.

Fair enough.

Quote:
Different methods of printing?

No, these were only printed one way. (see below)

Quote:
If they are printed only rotary...

These were lithographed.

Quote:
I'd say a bad wipe on the roll

We are talking about the brightness of the paper.

IMHO it is a disservice to throw a bunch of junk at the wall to see if it sticks when a newbie is asking a serious question and lots of magnified photos of stamp portions add nothing in this case.

Sometimes it just feels like we are being trolled and it sucks up a lot of oxygen.

Cheers

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1199 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry you feel that way,
I'm not trying to troll anyone, I just asked a question and gave a guess,
My bad
Pillar Of The Community
1125 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sometimes it just feels like we are being trolled and it sucks up a lot of oxygen.

Like this one?

http://goscf.com/t/77884&whichpage=2

Best one is that he found a supporter. Not the slightest trace of doubling. In fact

Quote:
Basically the right side of the stamp shifts up left side coming down ...

where the left side and right sides are printed double, individually.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7110 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   1:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1199 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry,
What exactly would the benefits of a person's opinion here without a certificate to go with it?
Could I send in your opinions to get a cert, would they care?
Does anybody post the links for sale reference, would you buy it?
I really don't care in the way you may think, I'm just looking at stamps

I'm not trying to troll I'm learning and asking questions
Opinions never hurt either
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2756 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   6:08 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It appears the left one is either on paper that has become toned due to poor storage or poor plate wiping.
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   11:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most likely caused by the varnish used for the taggant. On many of these early issues the varnish can yellow/darken due to various environmental effects. You can see this when you at the selvage of plate blocks from this timeframe. Part of the selvage can look fairly white/bright and part can look yellowed/darker.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7110 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   12:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mstocky - That is interesting.
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   09:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eagle79 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mystocky- fully agree with your assessment. Tagging omitted errors can be first detected by noticing whiter selvage in a stack of plate blocks for instance. Tagging of this era tends to be grittier to the touch as well. But, of course, nothing verifies tagging better than a lamp.
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at my samples there is mostly likely a combination of factors at play. First is the yellowing of the varnish as mentioned. In these two samples you can see the difference. Also notice the untagged area in the selvage.

Second is paper fluorescence. This issue can be found on a low fluorescence and dull fluorescence paper. The image below is taken under LW UV. The left stamps are on low fluorescent paper and the right is dull. The low fluorescent paper has a bluish tint to it under LW UV. This also contributes to the left stamps paper looking whiter.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 883Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05