Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Clueless Idiots Running HipStamp

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 57 / Views: 2,775Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
513 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought Mark Rosenberg was a forum member here.

Maybe he'll read this and offer an explanation or clarification.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
63 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Triangle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know UK and other sellers who have/are moving to hip from eBay because of lower fees. You get what you pay for, which is not much from either of them in terms of service, but clearly good exposure of your items giving a chance of a sale despite the idiosyncratic nature of the sites!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
811 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You forgot 'clueless'. Completely unaware of cause and effect. Does not understand one's position within a larger organization, nor the ramifications of one's actions wrt the larger whole.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5312 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   6:34 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know UK and other sellers who have/are moving to hip from eBay because of lower fees.

The problem though (beyond the current technological issues and staffing) is that the buyer traffic on hipstamp is a tiny fraction of what it is on eBay, especially if as a seller you are courting buyers of niche/specialized/esoteric material or do a lot of international sales.

For better or worse, eBay is where the buyers are.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2048 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've done thousands of transactions on Hipstamp, so I'm glad there isn't more traffic (competition).
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33652 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This situation is becoming ubiquitous.

Aussie biggest Telco Telstra, cannot offer recharge my phone,
I make a complaint, desire email contact.

I just get an SMS asking me to reply,
How can I reply, when my phone is not charged?

Last time I tried Phone contact, 3.5 hrs wait failed to get an operator.
Pillar Of The Community
1028 Posts
Posted 10/19/2021   01:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The people who use "idiot" in this thread are not sufficiently in control of their emotions to be posting anything -- and yet one even has the gall to fire back rather than apologize for poorly chosen words. If you want to ruin a website, here's how you do it.
Learn More...
9929 Posts
Posted 10/19/2021   04:11 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The people who use "idiot" in this thread are not sufficiently in control of their emotions to be posting anything -- and yet one even has the gall to fire back rather than apologize for poorly chosen words. If you want to ruin a website, here's how you do it.

If anything is 'going to ruin a website' it is when people publicly post critiques of other people.

I think that philatelic debates are fine, having a different view or opinion from another person is to be expected and should not generate much high drama. If anyone feels any forum rules have been violated, please use the Send Note To Staff link on any page. Please also rely upon the forum staff to maintain forum etiquette, if there is an issue this is best handled under the radar via private messaging.

Everyone here has a browser 'Back ' button and no one has a browser which forces them to read any thread. The title of this thread clearly communicated Dan's frustration and no one should have been surprised that his opinion was strong. If this offended anyone's sensibilities, then simply move over the thread. Folks should consider not having to read every post and thread a 'positive'; you do not have to invest your time and can navigate away from that particular discussion.

I like to consider the forum like a small town with soap boxes spread around the town square. Everything works well when folks wander around listening to each other, offering their own opinions on a topic back to the speaker and listeners. But when folks start shouting back their opinion about each other, drama is created and things can go off the rails.

The community will suffer if it is being moderated by everyone in it; trust that the Staff is watching for rules violations and is minding the forum etiquette.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3211 Posts
Posted 10/19/2021   07:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Based upon impressions from an interview with the owner of hipstamp, it is not a large company with a huge IT staff and have multiple priorities beyond stamps. There are other software makers that seem to be incredibly slow at what I think are simple programming fixes. It can be frustrating.
Al
Edited by angore - 10/19/2021 07:18 am
Pillar Of The Community
3585 Posts
Posted 10/19/2021   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like they may be outsourcing things to save money. This can sometimes be detrimental to the smooth operation of a company. Both sellers and buyers can get turned off by this and take their business somewhere else.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
281 Posts
Posted 10/19/2021   1:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that most of the opinions expressed on this thread come from sellers. I can only comment on Hipstamp from a buyer's viewpoint, but I will say unequivocally, I much prefer Hipstamp over eBay. The search features on Hipstamp are much, much superior to eBay's - you can actually find what you're looking for without scanning through hundreds of irrelevant listings. There may be fewer sellers on Hipstamp, but I have the impression that they are steadily growing.

My biggest complaint with both eBay and Hipstamp is that won't disclose, full identification of the seller. I guess eBay may be a little better in how much information they allow dealers to reveal at the seller's "store", but it is inconsistent. I understand that both eBay and Hipstamp want to be sure that they earn their commission for delivering the customer, but there has to be a better way to achieve that. It's hard for me to build trust with a dealer that I can never talk to directly. The anonymity of the sellers that the platforms maintain is a factor that also nearly invites those inclined to dishonest sales' practices.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
513 Posts
Posted 10/19/2021   3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
widglo46 -

To know your sellers, you might try what I do.

I keep a series of Excel spreadsheets that inventory (1) each of my albums (2) details of each of my purchases by date and (3) a cumulative list of sellers I buy from. Every time I get a shipment from a new seller, I enter their name and address from the return address and/or shipping document, plus their phone number, email address, and/or website, if given, into Excel (3). That way, if I want to contact them outside of the eBay/hipStamp message system, I have what I need.

I also keep track of any "issues" I had with any of them. Over time, I've learned who is trustworthy and those whose ethics I doubt a bit or who are known to be disreputable or less than honest.

My seller's list includes sellers from ALL sources - eBay, hipStamp, auction houses, private dealers, etc.

Edited by uboatnut - 10/19/2021 4:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1031 Posts
Posted 10/19/2021   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@widglo46 - eBay, Hipstamp don't like to do that since it leads to private sales - and then the platform doesn't get its cut... Hipstamp will actually reject any message sent in their messaging system that has the word "Delcampe" in it, which is pretty funny. On the other hand, Delcampe doesn't seem to have issues about putting contact info or competitor names in their messages.

In any event, I put my business card in with all orders for new customers, exactly to give buyers a way to contact me outside of the in-house messaging systems.

I also do what @uboatnut does - tracking all that info has saved me at least once from buying again from a unsatisfactory seller on eBay after a couple years.

~Greg
Edited by gmot - 10/19/2021 4:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3972 Posts
Posted 10/19/2021   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course the whole point of eBay keeping buyer/seller contact information as anonymous as possible is to thwart outside sales for which they don't collect their fees. They have nothing to gain through fuller information.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2048 Posts
Posted 10/19/2021   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If Hipstamp is small and has limited traffic, then how much IT support can they provide?
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 57 / Views: 2,775Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05