Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Stamp Packets

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 955Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
281 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   01:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add patg23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know we all collect any & everything.
Anyone else put aside old stamp packets?
pat

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33625 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   02:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
281 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod - thanks for showing the old link.
pat
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1026 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful design on the Russia space packet!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1932 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love old stuff. There's a packet of USA stamps on eBay right now.

Jack Kelley
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33625 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I love old stuff.

For me, it transforms me back to when I was a kid,
I can still kinda smell in my mind, the counters at WOOLWORTHS
that shop always had a distinct odour / fragrance, and
being able to thumb through the stamp packs.

I wanted them all at that stage, but only afford 1 or 2 packs.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7145 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As others have said, I love this stuff because it transports me back to a good time. Same for all types of vintage stuff. I have tons of it and none of it is worth much $ wise but the feeling I get from it is invaluable. I do not specifically collect these packets but have run through lots of them in large lots. I still get that excitement of the wonders within when I see them and they are probably a part of the reason I got hooked on stamp collecting.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
809 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I look at the packets pictured here and just wonder how kids could resist the wonder inside each packet! Especially the Russian space packet - how could you possibly walk away from that??

ETA: Thanks, pat, for sharing!!
Edited by mootermutt987 - 10/18/2021 7:52 pm
Valued Member
Thailand
16 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sydrique to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That brings back so much good memories. And those packs were a good way to start a stamp collection. Too bad they don't exist anymore.

Sylvain
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gibby01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
334 Posts
Posted 10/19/2021   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love that stuff also. As someone here stated, occasionally you'll come across these "nostalgic memory boosters" in box lots and it like a time machine trip.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2458 Posts
Posted 10/19/2021   10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This brings back memories indeed.

I recall the Treasure Trove Stamp mixture and Big Bag of World-wide stamps, from when I was 9. That was what I lived for then.

Always many pictures of Franco on the Spanish stamps, Queen Elizabeth of course, and the gentleman on the Belgium stamps at the time.

It was a great way to be introduced to the world.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
809 Posts
Posted 10/19/2021   3:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It was a great way to be introduced to the world.

I agree 1000%. Over the years I have won all kinds of trivia contests. My friends ask me where I ever learned all those useless facts. I tell them I learned it thanks to my stamp collection. One thing about stamp collecting: there are more subjects addressed in stamps than probably any other single endeavor, except maybe book publishing. I would see an interesting-looking person on a stamp and I would have to learn more about that person so I would find info in various books.

It was packets like the ones shown here that piqued my interest and got me interested in stamps. There were other factors, but these packets were part of it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2573 Posts
Posted 10/19/2021   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mootermutt and all probably describe a good chunk of the members here, including me. The hobby also certainly helped some in school geography and history.

There still is human curiosity (I hope), but with directed advertising/content at one's fingertips nowadays, it's hard to expect something like discovering stamp packets being on the radar to take kids out of their comfort zones and into the wider world.

It is encouraging to see window packets available today. Must be a relatively newly revived thing? In the '90s, I remember only X different of a country available in glassines that I would help repackage into window envelopes (without the presentation). Along with US year sets similarly offered, they were pretty popular entry-level fare in the stamp store where they were pinned up on the wall.
Edited by hy-brasil - 10/19/2021 4:57 pm
Valued Member
281 Posts
Posted 10/19/2021   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gibby01 - Thanks for the link to Hobby Lobby ad.

15 for $4.59!

Here are a few more. Back of one imprint says 1941.

As someone else mentioned, who would not be drawn in by the exotic artwork made to inspire imagination (I know I was, not these, but similar as a youngster).

25 for 10!

Valued Member
281 Posts
Posted 10/22/2021   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 955Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05