The principality of Andorra is situated in the Pyrenees between Spain and France. The constitution of 1993 establishes the territory as a parliamentary democracy. It also establishes its co-princes, the French President and Bishop of Urgell, as its joined heads of state.
Both the French postal service, La Poste, and the Spanish postal service, Correos, operate a postal service in the principality. Carriage of mail within the principality is free. Each postal service issues stamps for Andorra that are valid for international carriage by the issuing entity. Carriage to France or Spain by those countries' postal services is treated as inland mail by the respective postal services.
Over time, both La Poste and Correos have issued stamps showing the coat-of-arms of the principality. The present coat-of-arms was adopted in 1969 and reflects the principality's history. Article 2.2 of the constitution establishes it as the official symbol of the principality, together with its flag. The official flag of the principality also has the coat-of-arms in its centre. The civil version of the flag does not have the coat-of-arms.
As aftermath of the crusades against the Cathars, a dispute arose between the Bishop of Urgell and the Count of Foix. King Pedro III of Aragón mediated between both parties. This led to the signing of the Paréage of Andorra in Lleida, on 6 September 1278. The Paréage established joined sovereignty of Roger Bernard III, Count of foix, and Pere d'Urtx, Bishop of Urgell, over the territory of Andorra.
In 1290, Roger Bernard III inherited
the title of Viscount of Béarn. In the 16th. century, King Enrique III of Navarra inherited
the title. He, later, became King Henry IV of France. In 1620, his son, Louis XIII, united his titles as King of Navarra that included the co-principality of Andorra with the French Crown. After the French Revolution, in 1789, the title of Prince of Andorra, passed onto the French Republic, represented by its president.
The coat-of-arms of Andorra has four quarters. Each quarter represents arms related to the historic rulers of the principality. The arms of the Bishop of Urgell make up the first quarter. These show a mitre and crozier of or against a field of gules. The arms of the County of Foix (three pales of gules in a field of or) make up the second quarter. The arms of Catalunya (four pales of gules in a field of or) make up the third quarter. Seu d'Urgell is situated in Catalunya. The arms of the Viscounts of Béarn make up the fourth quarter. These show two Betizu cattle of gules with horns and wearing a cowbell of azure in a field of or. The colours of the coat-of-arms, azure, or, and gules also make up the colours of the flag: blue, yellow, and red.
The official coat-of-arms is set against a scroll. Alternatively, it can be crowned by the lord's emblems, either a chapeau or a crown. It can have the motto "VIRTUS UNITA FORTIOR" (united value is stronger) at the foot.