Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bin/Make Offer - Not Really

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,010Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
332 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add canyoneer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I use "make offer" quite often on eBay. I'll usually start at 80% and work from there. The other day there was something I was interested in so started at 80% and it was automatically rejected. The seller must have an auto reject limit he's using. So I offer 91% - rejected. Hmmm ... next 95% - rejected. Ok, Ok let's test the limit 98%. Rejected. By this point I'm moving on ... interested in it but not a must have.

Anyone run into this? Not sure the tactic here - why not list as BIN and not include Make Offer if you won't accept any?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's possible that eBay automatically did it? I know that if given the opportunity, they will make something best offer, will lower prices of items that don't sell, and more. Or just a pesky seller. Either or, pretty annoying
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
266 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dry Tech to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Turning down 98% pretty weird. I've never run into that.

For me the make offer amount all depends on weather the BIN is a very fair one to begin with. If it is then I would offer 95% just because the seller stated make offer. I can not remember being turned down at 95%.

When I think 80% is a fair offer and it is rejected with a counter offer, I walk.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5307 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   6:36 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Depending on how a seller lists, and the parameters of their membership (store subscription vs. not), eBay will force Best Offer onto listings regardless of whether the seller wants to accept offers or not.

As a buyer it is frustrating, but eBay bears some of the blame here.
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe I'm misreading this, but sounds like an auction with make offer, not BIN w/make offer? BIN w/make offer not accepting any discount seems odd. Auction w/make offer may be expecting an offer ABOVE minimum bid that the seller will accept in order to terminate the bidding early and call it a win. Reduces potential for not achieving best bid but also limits buyer from waiting to see what happens.
Pillar Of The Community
3940 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Puzzled by the original post. I though one could make only 3 offers before the offer option went away.

Second, I believe one can have only BIN or make-offer, but not both active simultaneously.

Indeed, some of these options seem to be automatically "on" as eBay defaults unless the seller turns them "off". I would not automatically blame the seller for a "no response" or a rejection.

I'm looking for unusual postal history. I can't just look at other sellers when a unique item comes along. There is no direct competition.

I saw a lot last week with an underpriced start bid of $9. I offered $12 to see if the seller would accept. No response and the offer expired. Happily a week later, I was the only bidder upon the close and got the lot for $9.
Valued Member
332 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   10:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This was a BIN with "Make an Offer" below it. John you are correct about the default. Items I've sold with BIN have the Make Offer box checked automatically. You have to turn that off yourself.

On this particular one, after my first offer, it said I had 4 more offers left. Next time I post something I'll check that. Maybe changing number of offers allowed is a seller option.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
803 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   11:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of the churn-n-burn stamp dealers on eBay puts a BIN price equal to Scott Catalogue Value on most of their non-auction items. And they are nothing special - they are items which typically sell for 1/4 - 1/2 of SCV. I laugh when I see those listings. I suspect they are hoping that a rube will come by and offer 90% of the BIN price. We are talking about items listed in the $100's or $1000's, so this is real money. I have never offered anything for their items, though, so I have no idea what their expectations are.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
680 Posts
Posted 10/19/2021   7:52 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another possibility is that the seller got annoyed with people emailing him and making offers even when he didn't accept them on the listings themselves, so he automated the process of rejecting all offers.

I don't use the best offer option on my listings except in rare cases, but it doesn't stop people from sending me messages frequently. Some of them are useful and I occasionally accept them, but people offering me 40% of my start price is a waste of everyone's time.
Valued Member
Canada
161 Posts
Posted 10/20/2021   09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Something in this discussion doesn't sound right and perhaps eBay Canada has different rules. If I create a listing for Auction I can select Make an Offer. If I list an item for Auction with BIN, I cannot proceed if I have the Make an Offer selected. I get an error message saying you have to chose BIN or Make an Offer and you cannot have both.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
564 Posts
Posted 10/20/2021   09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed there is something wrong with this ad (or seller). Are all of this seller's ads like this? I use make an offer available on most of my ads. I don't always have the latitude but if I do, I'll accept 25% off, sometime up to 35% off but that's about the limit. I never have eBay do auto rejects.

As a buyer I usually start offers at about 25% and dicker up from there.

By Default make an offer is turned on but it's simple to turn it off.

If using eBay's bulk uploads you have an easy option to turn it off or on. So if this seller leaves it on or turns it on in FileExchange without intending to take offers I don't understand why. To have eBay auto reject, takes more effort then turning the option off.
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
Posted 10/20/2021   1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ridiculous offers do not always mean the buyer is the problem....sometimes the seller is asking the ridiculous price and a lowball offer is justified.
Valued Member
332 Posts
Posted 10/20/2021   5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's how a person could create a Buy It Now listing, Accept Offers, and automatically decline offers that are less than $0.05 below the BIN price. I've used this quite a bit (not the crazy decline percentage though)

Pillar Of The Community
United States
802 Posts
Posted 10/20/2021   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have found the same issues, rarely, but more than a few times. I actually asked the sellers and they told me they wanted 100% but listed the Make Offer to generate interest. Another said that he was always happy with at least 99%.

It was three offers, but now eBay allows five and has done away with the recent ability to set the duration of your offer 12, 24, 48 hours after years of it being only 48 hours.

As to the make offer when it is an auction, some buyers are looking for multiples of the opening price, others much less. However, once a bid is made, the make offer button goes away AND if there is/was a pending offer awaiting the seller, that offer is deleted by eBay. In short the offer and sellers acceptance must occur before the first bid* is made. Now I have seen a bid made and later while still the only bid, it was retracted, the Make Offer restored, offer made by same buyer and seller accepted.

*Edit to add missed word.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 10/21/2021 12:20 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2046 Posts
Posted 10/20/2021   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just made an offer for a BIN item on eBay, and the offer was good for 24 hours. No options that I saw.
Learn More...
9892 Posts
Posted 10/20/2021   9:34 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
US eBay 'Best Offer' Terms and Conditions are here https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/l...ting?id=4144
Don
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,010Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05