Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Article On 1962/1963 Documentary Revenue Stamps (R733/R734) On Documents?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 269Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5311 Posts
Posted 10/19/2021   08:43 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Perhaps my memory is playing games with me, but I seem to vaguely recall an extensive article or online discussion regarding on-document usages of U.S. Scott #R733 and R734, the "Internal Revenue Building" documentaries, the last federal documentaries issued... but I'll be darned if I can remember where it was.

My search of The American Revenuer issues isn't turning up anything. Where was that blasted thing, or am I imagining things?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
730 Posts
Posted 10/19/2021   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found a "The Intergovernmental Aspects of Documentary Taxes".
A Commission Report, The Advisory Commission on Intergovernmental Relations, September 1964.
https://library.unt.edu/gpo/acir/Re...icy/A-23.pdf
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
750 Posts
Posted 10/19/2021   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a one frame first day exhibit of R733 that was shown at the Great American Stamp Show. I also wrote an article in American Stamp Dealer & Collector in 2016 on this same subject. My one frame first day exhibit includes uses on property transfers, stock transfers, bond issuance. I would love to find a bond transfer, a stock issuance, and taxation of foreign insurance premiums.

The 10 denomination was used to make up rates, so a single use on document is not likely. I also have a postal cancel of R734 on the last day of sale.

I might note that the kinds of usages that I have not yet acquired are far more common in the 1920 - 1950 period than from 1960 until the end of the documentary taxes on December 31, 1967 (a Sunday, I might add). So for all intents and purposes the last days of use would probably be December 29 or possibly Saturday, December 30.
Ron Lesher
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5311 Posts
Posted 10/19/2021   6:34 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Ron. I'll look up the ASD&C article. Is your exhibit online anywhere? I checked the AAPE website, but didn't see it. I just purchased a bunch of stock certificates with R733 and R734 on them so am trying to learn more.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5311 Posts
Posted 11/01/2021   7:31 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 10 denomination was used to make up rates, so a single use on document is not likely. I also have a postal cancel of R734 on the last day of sale.

Just got done looking through a stack of about 40 documents with R733 and R734 used on them and virtually all are used in conjunction with documentary reds of the period, the majority the undated reds. The closest I've come to a solo usage is an attached pair on a stock certificate with no accompanying reds. One of the nicest examples (aesthetically at least) is an unpunched/unperfinned intact block of 4 on document.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 269Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05