Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Requesting Opinions Of A Stamp With No Gum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 414Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1148 Posts
Posted 10/19/2021   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Timm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Scott Catalogue #140
Very clean, crisp, well centered with no gum.
Scott Catalogue Value unused $300.00 (with gum) $450.00 used

What is your opinion of the value of a beautifue no gum stamp.

I don't know if it matters but this is the crying King variety with a color tear drop below eye.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2567 Posts
Posted 10/20/2021   03:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would be usually figured at around half the OG hinged price for this. The OG hinged stamp is usually quite discounted from Scott by US dealers.

I may be being picky and it just may be the image presented, but the "teardrop" can be found much stronger/clearer than what I can see here.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
Posted 10/22/2021   08:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGVIStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you sure it is real?
There are a number of on-line auction sellers who are marketing "stamps" with no gum. Typically they have very white paper which tends not to match the old papers of the genuine thing. They have perforations that are not correct for the stamp, and the image is not as sharp as the real thing because it was printed by a laser or dot-matrix printer.
I collect British Colony stamps and see this work all the time. I can't comment specifically about your stamp but if it is an older issue - the paper is very white. Take a careful look at it compared to something else from the same time period and see what you notice. Let us know what you find.
Also - if you bought it on-line file a complaint. These sellers are not identifying these as fakes which is not allowed by the site rules.
Learn more about King George VI stamps at www.KGVIStamps.com
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1148 Posts
Posted 10/22/2021   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp is real, it matches several stamps with revenue cancels that I have to compare.
There are no signs of any cancels being removed.
It's just a very clean stamp without gum.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1216 Posts
Posted 10/22/2021   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tim, not the best "crying king" I've ever seen but it looks OK to me. At best it's 50% unused catalogue value, possibly room for getting an additional 10-20% discount if you're buying.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7079 Posts
Posted 10/22/2021   3:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jay Smith has three used examples in stock and no mint. One difficult thing to assess for pricing is how willing somebody that is building a complete overprint set would be to add a MNG 140 to their MHOG surcharge set.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 414Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05