Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2 Cent Washington Green Embossed Envelope

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 361Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
52 Posts
Posted 10/20/2021   12:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add sharons25 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good evening!

I need help to ID the embossed stamp and the type of wrapper used to make the envelope? This what I saw as a cut square and the description said that it was rare. Could this be the same or is it something else? It is also the first time I have encountered this type of envelope it is open on both ends. Would it have a watermark as envelopes do? I have attached images for you to examine.

Thanks,

Sharon

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7142 Posts
Posted 10/20/2021   08:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Let us unpack this. If the description said that this was rare did it assign a Scott number? There are 25 Scott numbers for this design and the telling the differences require a lot of experience and education. Determining paper type/color and bust details are key. Depending upon these factors the values range from 25 cents to several thousand dollars used. Always assume that you have the most common variety and work from there.

You need to provide a closeup and clear image of the bust design as well as a full image of the front of the piece.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Posted 10/20/2021   1:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sharons25 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for response, I took several more pictures tried to get a good clear image.

Pillar Of The Community
3968 Posts
Posted 10/20/2021   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The only wrapper of this design is W316, which lists at $7 for a used entire in my 2017 Scott Specialized. Even among the more detailed listings in the Postal Stationery Society catalog, there are none above $50.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2573 Posts
Posted 10/20/2021   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
sharons25, many thanks for the updated images. You might delete the second image in the original post which shows the back of some envelope. Be aware that phones reuse image numbers so you might not get the intended image posted which I am guessing is what happened here.

Here is the major die type I that that person may have been talking about:

this is from an old Scott Specialized showing the die type that the cut square rarity could come from. However, the rarities are on the scarcer paper colors: blue, manila and amber manila which are pretty distinctive vs. the usual white or amber. These particular cut squares would only be from envelopes. If the color was not obvious from any scan provided, I would question the identification.
Edited by hy-brasil - 10/20/2021 6:34 pm
Learn More...
9924 Posts
Posted 10/20/2021   6:37 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As John mentioned, the ONLY possibility is W316 (bust pointing to second notch) because it is a wrapper. There is no Die 1 wrapper and the paper color can only be manila.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7142 Posts
Posted 10/20/2021   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What happened to the envelope?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
587 Posts
Posted 10/21/2021   09:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ThomasGalloway to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is anyone having the same problem as I am?

Image number 2 looks like a typical V-shaped (non-wrapper) knife.

Image number 7 looks like a typical wrapper knife (edge-to-edge gradual curve).

I think I'm seeing two different pieces of stationery.
Learn More...
9924 Posts
Posted 10/21/2021   09:55 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the original poster's second image is a uploading mistake.
Don
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 361Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05