Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About Stampless Covers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 200Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
657 Posts
Posted 10/20/2021   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add alub to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently saw an eBay listing for a "stampless cover" It did not have any US issue stamps on it. But it did have a local stamp on it. Is this still considered a "stampless cover"?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 10/20/2021   10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stephen J Bukowy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on whose definition of stampless you use. No official stamp = stampless,
or No stamp of any kind = stampless. I go with the second version.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
667 Posts
Posted 10/20/2021   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the cover bears an adhesive stamp, local or otherwise, I cannot see how it can be called "stampless".
Pillar Of The Community
United States
900 Posts
Posted 10/20/2021   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
alub

I had a similar question a few years ago: http://goscf.com/t/67628&whichpage=1
Pillar Of The Community
3942 Posts
Posted 10/20/2021   12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see I provided several comments on the previous thread, but with regard to this specific eBay question ...

Successful selling on eBay requires that potential buyers see your lot. So while some might not call this a "stampless" cover (and in fact I recommended dancing around the term in the previous thread), I would certainly include the term in the title or description as a way of generating viewer traffic.

Sellers are going to use these gray-area terms versus being exactly perfect. As an example, many non-revenue collectors do not understand the technical difference between a "check" and a "draft". If I am selling a "draft" on eBay, you bet I will mention the term "check" in the description even though it is technically wrong. I want to get the viewership. Modest keyword spamming of close synonyms gets views and bids.

I would certainly not go to eBay descriptions for determining proper use of philatelic terminology.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 200Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05