Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

One Example Of Reperforation

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,294Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
216 Posts
Posted 10/21/2021   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BFRomeos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings all:

I do not own this stamp. The image comes from the Philatelic Foundation's online database (Cert #459165).

If anyone has the time and patience to share an opinion, I'm VERY curious to know what evidence (given only this photo) leads to the determination that this stamp was "reperforated at right."

Thanks
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
513 Posts
Posted 10/21/2021   5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
By what percentage does re-perforation lower the catalog value?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1215 Posts
Posted 10/21/2021   5:37 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like the perfs on the right are a different shape. Darn good effort though. I doubt I would have spotted it.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1215 Posts
Posted 10/21/2021   5:40 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
By what percentage does re-perforation lower the catalog value?

A lot. First off, the reason for a reperf is often to improve the centering. So any value above cat for well-centered (SSV or SMQ) is out the window. Then maybe 1/3 off the cat value if not more.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7629 Posts
Posted 10/21/2021   5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perforations should be looked at from the reverse. That is where much of the evidence can be found, such as a lack of pressure ridges. Also the sharpness of the edges.
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
Posted 10/21/2021   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Similar to what rslny did I moved the left side closer to the right and lined up the top hole. As you move down the misalignment increases. Not a lot, but there should not be any. While this digital manipulation is easy to do at home if I were to see this stamp in person at a show I would have no way to really see such a small misalignment.

Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 10/21/2021   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stephen J Bukowy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I looked at the top and bottom perfs and noticed that they were not inline with those across from them. Tooth versus hole. I assumed that they should be.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7629 Posts
Posted 10/21/2021   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually they should not be. Being slightly off is not automatically a problem either; pins wear down, pins get bent, and pins get replaced with new pins. So small differences can occur. Again, seeing the reverse is very important.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33639 Posts
Posted 10/21/2021   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Perforations should be looked at from the reverse. That is where much of the evidence can be found, such as a lack of pressure ridges. Also the sharpness of the edges.

Quote:
I looked at the top and bottom perfs and noticed that they were not inline with those across from them. Tooth versus hole. I assumed that they should be.

If I am reading you correctly, then this stamp is line perforated,
they will rarely match up.
if COMB perforate, then they always will, and should show a part hole
in each corner.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2576 Posts
Posted 10/22/2021   12:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stephen J, this issue and others of its era were perforated by pins on a free-wheeling roller. They do not align with each other except by coincidence. See the top and bottom perfs of this stamp.

Justfella, yes, you are no pro and you are guessing, wildly. Do you think the other respondents to this post are making guesses? The answer is that they are not. Your agenda of contributing misleading thoughts to threads is not appreciated here and elsewhere.
Learn More...
9925 Posts
Posted 10/22/2021   04:45 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...Justfella, yes, you are no pro and you are guessing, wildly. Do you think the other respondents to this post are making guesses? The answer is that they are not. Your agenda of contributing misleading thoughts to threads is not appreciated here and elsewhere...

This is only going to create drama and falls in the area of forum etiquette (which is under the purview of the forum staff). Communicating opinions on other people's posts is best handled privately. There is a 'Send Message To Staff' link on every page and/or in many cases members can contact each other privately.

Members calling each other out publicly is always a potential train wreck and is best avoided.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1199 Posts
Posted 10/22/2021   07:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I removed my foolish guess,
sorry
Valued Member
United States
216 Posts
Posted 10/22/2021   08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Wow... never a dull moment in this neighborhood.

Many thanks for the on-point responses. This feedback inspired my diagnostic of another copy of the same issue:

I hope y'all can work out the rest. Peace.
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 10/22/2021   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I come in Peace
It's very hard to tell with the naked eye a well done reperforated stamp. Your example is exhibit 1.
It is clearly a professionally done reperf. I have gotten much better at distinguishing reperfs with a dissecting microscope that displays the paper thickness as if it was cardboard. By eye, I think most observers would say that your patient is fine, probably not the expertizerrs in the audience.
Regards m
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7149 Posts
Posted 10/22/2021   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with GMC. The PF and PSE have technological tools at their disposal now that can take examination to the next level. You can see the change when new certs overturn older clear certs. It happens a lot. Linn's made a comment in an article on these a while back regarding reperforated and regummed examples being plentiful and a certificate was recommended.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7149 Posts
Posted 10/25/2021   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw this description in an upcoming Siegel sale extensions balance lot and thought of this thread. Love the "alleged problem". Perhaps a bit of sarcasm?

Quote:
Group of stamps run as individual lots in a prior sale but with a problem (or alleged problem), including No. 205, original gum, small corner crease, Extremely Fine appearance (2021 PFC), No. 235, Extremely Fine but corner perf crease (2021 PFC), No. 337, lightly hinged, Extremely Fine (2021 PFC, XF 90), No. 478, Mint N.H., reperfed (clear 1971 PFC and 2021 PFC as reperfed), No. E3, Mint N.H., reperfed according to 2021 P.S.E. certificate (clear 1996 PFC), No. E10, Mint N.H., reperfed according to 2021 P.S.E. certificate (clear 1999 PFC), No. 579, Mint N.H. (2021 P.S.E.)

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,294Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05