Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

One Example Of Reperforation

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,261Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
806 Posts
Posted 10/25/2021   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I was a bit late to this party. From the thread title I did not know a parcel post stamp was involved.

I agree the the accurate comments above, reperfed, individual perf wheels, to improve centering, best from the back and wild guesses not in interest of knowledge.

There are two points I wish to bring up. First not all reperfing is done to improve centering. This Q-10, 50 PP stamp was printed (as were all 17 PP and PP Due values) in sheets of 180 images which was then cut done the center lines to make 4-45 image panes. This results in 8 of the stamps with one edge straight and 1 with two edges straight (forming a corner). Thus in normal production and release 20% of all issued stamps have a straight edge.

Then remember from above, "cut down the center lines" means that a line of the same color of the stamp was used as a guide for when to cut. Some straight edges got the entire line, part of the line and none of the line. This means the real perforated stamps, if centered better than deep average, should have no stamp color on the perf tips. Some examples of reperfing on these (and similar straight edge panes cut along the guidelines) the faker leave a bit or a lot of such center line still visible on the perf tips.

Lines, top with part, right with full, corner with part and full as well as Shanghai cancel:

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2570 Posts
Posted 10/25/2021   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the centerlines are close to the reperfed perf tips, they can be sanded off or broken off. Sometimes a trace of the line might show on one or two perf tips, tipping you off that a reperfer has been at work.

There have been old US collections I've seen that were all about collecting the different straight edge positions. They perhaps were gobbled up by reperfers long ago.

To go along with Parcelpostguy's comments, US classics and foreign of similar age are often found reperfed on the side cutting the design, as people generally (apparently still) find that preferable to a damaged side or natural straight edge.
Valued Member
United States
272 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   12:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I saw this description in an upcoming Siegel sale extensions balance lot and thought of this thread. Love the "alleged problem".

I'm sure Trepel was not amused by the PSE notes, given the stamps were sold in Siegel's May 2021 auction.

The E3 & E10 holding clean PF Certs but both returned as reperfed right by PSE.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7613 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I would trust a 1996 PF cert and a 1999 PF cert over a 2021 PSE cert, but that's just me.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3203 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   07:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I assume PSE does not describe the indicators that led to their conclusion.
Al
Valued Member
333 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   09:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
E3 looks reperfed on right but E10 looks good to me. I agree that PSE should state why they find something suspect. Keeping it a secret is weak. Maybe someone here on the forum knows why they do not make background of an opinion known.
Valued Member
United States
272 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The PSE opinions pretty much doom the stamps. Even if one were to follow up and get clean certs from the APS, PF, and PSAG, they would never wipe the negative PSE opinion off the slate.

Ofcourse, the extension lot will probably fetch decent money with the stamps soon to be listed on eBay w/o the PSE certs.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7613 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course, one could always resubmit them to the PF for new certs and use those.
Valued Member
333 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe this is one of the machines used to determine if a stamp is reperforated or not:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7613 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a bit more scientific then that.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2046 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If I am reading you correctly, then this stamp is line perforated,
they will rarely match up.

Just a quick point of clarification Rod. In the context of reperfing, there should be no difference between comb and line perf stamps. The teeth and holes should line up side to side and top to bottom. There could be some variation if the perf pins are a bit bent and are not registered to start off in the exact same position. Just my personal experience.

As far as meeting at the corners, this is where the difference lies. Comb perfs are made in one operation so they always line up perfectly at the corners unless there is a bent perf pin. But in this case, the imperfection should repeat itself throughout the sheet. Line perfs infrequently line up in the corners since rows and columns are perfed in two separate operations.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,261Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05