Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Tale Of The Shipping Time Of Two Small Packages (Letter Size)

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 707Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7135 Posts
Posted 10/21/2021   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Well maybe not a tale but rather a brief observation.

I had two small shipments coming from auctions. One from New Jersey and one from the Ukraine. The NJ package was sent Priority four days ago and has a "delivery exception error" and is still in NJ. Estimated to arrive on the 25th of October. The Ukraine letter size piece mailed International First Class arrived today. It was mailed on the 14th of October.

Hmmmmm

Send note to Staff
Edited by rogdcam - 10/21/2021 5:05 pm

Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
Posted 10/21/2021   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's actually just Ukraine, not the Ukraine! Common mistake among people born before the fall of the SU.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7135 Posts
Posted 10/21/2021   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fixed
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1874 Posts
Posted 10/21/2021   6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had a letter arrive this morning that was posted in Sydney 15 days ago.

I am about 200 kilometeres away.....
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
Posted 10/21/2021   7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On a less rude of mine note, I'm in an exchange with someone in Finland. We sent our envelopes on the same day probably about a month ago and I got hers 2 weeks ago and she still hasn't gotten mine. So much for yin and yang at the PO.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7135 Posts
Posted 10/22/2021   3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well the NJ Priority package has not moved. Turns out that Raritan is shipping four figure purchases in a Priority Flat Rate envelope.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7135 Posts
Posted 10/24/2021   08:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Raritan will be using FedEx in the future. Way to go USPS. That is how you build and keep customers. Be thankful that you have a monopoly on some of your services.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1204 Posts
Posted 10/24/2021   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought two letter-sized parcels of postal cards from a Delcampe seller in China, 10 cards on Aug. 30 and 8 cards on Sept. 4. Both were postmarked Sept. 6, and both reached me in California on Oct. 21. They were registered mail (bar coded and paid for as such), but they were left in my box without a signature.

Quote:
I had a letter arrive this morning that was posted in Sydney 15 days ago.

I am about 200 kilometeres away.....

I once tracked a package to the USPS sorting facility in Richmond, California, and it still took another week to reach me. I can walk to that USPS facility in about an hour. This was even before COVID.
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 10/25/2021   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Front page of the Business section today Wall Street Journal. "Post Office Beefs Up Facilities for Holidays" .
UPS and FEDX are both restricting volume from customers.
Post Office expects to handle 50.1 million packages/ day. Their volume estimate was completed last January.
Maybe Hope?
The Post Office like the Navy, but not the Army is required by the Constitution.
Cheers
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7135 Posts
Posted 10/25/2021   2:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just got done with a Raritan conversation. They mailed out my lots from their last auction USPS Priority Mail. The package left the local PO but was never scanned. How do they know it left their PO? Who knows. The tracking number shows the package as being at the local PO and having a "delivery exception, delayed" message. What a nightmare. The USPS is a sinking ship. Let private carriers take over and let the barnacles and other aquatic creatures have the hull of the PO. Wow!

PS: This holiday season will likely be an absolute nightmare for shipping via USPS.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2458 Posts
Posted 10/25/2021   2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Even Fedex has been having some issues recently. I believe that they may be short-handed and somewhat overwhelmed as well.

A recent Fedex letter I got (from Siegel) was initially marked "delayed" - something I've never seen before, then it showed a delivery exception at my house. This indicated that they had attempted delivery but no-one was home. That often happens and I go pick it up. No problem. However, there was no door tag, and I was literally sitting by the door the whole time. The point is - no-one came to my house, yet the tracking indicated that they had.

When I went to pick it up, there was confusion and the lady indicated that they were having system problems... fortunately they found my letter.

This was really the first time after receiving many Fedex's that I've noted that they were obviously disorganized and probably understaffed.
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 10/25/2021   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think criticism is justified. But I think understanding of the problem is required. A quick search turned up that FDX delivered 6.6 million pieces a day. UPS delivered 21 million pieces a day mail/ packages. USPS delivered 173.1 million a day in 1st class mail a day. I think that amount of usage would overwhelm private carriers. In a related note, the logistic nightmares at our ports are partially attributed to everyone staying home (pandemic) and ordering stuff online. And all that stuff has to be delivered. That shows up in our trade imbalance. It would be far easier to fix our current problem with the USPS than to create a new system in my opinion.

But criticism is well justified.
Cheers
Edited by GMC89 - 10/25/2021 4:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7135 Posts
Posted 10/25/2021   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think that amount of usage would overwhelm private carriers.

Only if there capacity stayed as it is now which naturally it would not.

Quote:
In a related note, the logistic nightmares at our ports are partially attributed to everyone staying home (pandemic) and ordering stuff online. And all that stuff has to be delivered. I think that amount of usage would overwhelm private carriers.

Record online sales volume last year without the problem at the ports.

Anyway, hard to tie not scanning Priority Mail back to cargo ships.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
314 Posts
Posted 10/25/2021   6:23 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just got done with a Raritan conversation. They mailed out my lots from their last auction USPS Priority Mail. The package left the local PO but was never scanned. How do they know it left their PO? Who knows. The tracking number shows the package as being at the local PO and having a "delivery exception, delayed" message. What a nightmare. The USPS is a sinking ship. Let private carriers take over and let the barnacles and other aquatic creatures have the hull of the PO. Wow!

PS: This holiday season will likely be an absolute nightmare for shipping via USPS.

Rog, hope all goes well with your deliveries...

My favorite nightmare with USPS is when something is scanned as delivered, but you didn't get it. It has happened to me two or three times in the last few years... When it happens with a high-value shipment, it can really get your goat. Fortunately for me, all of these instances resolved themselves, but I have often wondered, what would be the recourse available. I mean, when it was scanned as delivered but it was not?! Doesn't the shipper have to prove receipt with a signature for high-value shipments?

Has that ever happened to anyone?

John
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7135 Posts
Posted 10/25/2021   6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John - That has happened to me frequently. Both USPS and Fedex have scanned items as delivered and they were not. Most times it has worked out although last year Fedex dropped some patio furniture off at the wrong location and a Mr. Chewy delivery was dropped in a snow bank at my neighbors only to be discovered two months later. My neighbors have had wine shipments (cases) logged as delivered but they were not.

It always brings up the question of liability as you point out.

Either scan or don't scan. If you are going to not do it, do it sporadically or "fudge" the scans to make your performance look better (common) than scanning is like eBay feedback. It does not mean much.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
314 Posts
Posted 10/25/2021   6:39 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rog, I just checked eBay to see what their requirement is, just on a lark. It is $750, including shipping price and taxes. As a seller (or a buyer returning something), you would have to have signature delivery to protect yourself...

I wonder how other venues would be treated, in the legal sense?

Hmmmmm.

John
Edited by johnsim03 - 10/25/2021 6:41 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 707Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05