Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Request Help With A Catalogue Number On A Steiner Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 438Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1149 Posts
Posted 10/22/2021   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Timm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

What is the Scott and/or Stanley Gibbions catalogue number for the booklet on the left?

Thank you
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1672 Posts
Posted 10/23/2021   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shown in an online catalogue as Scott #1113Gh
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1149 Posts
Posted 10/23/2021   02:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But Scott lists that number under 1998-99 not 2001. Then under Self Adhesive Coil Stamps says No. 1113F,1113G 5/3/01.
Then there's Fi and Gj, same stamps with different perforations. If F and G are paired to become Gk and in a booklet pane as Gh as listed, are Fi and Gj also paired to become ?? with booklet #?? or are Fi and Gj not from the same booklet? And if not from the same booklet then what booklet?

Thank you.

Edited by Timm - 10/23/2021 02:56 am
Pillar Of The Community
1125 Posts
Posted 10/23/2021   03:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The left one appears to be Hibernian book HB67ap (pane HP109pa).

This is a re-issue of HB67p (pane HP109p).
Book HB67 10 x 30p goldcrest and blackbird alternating and imperforate at top and bottom of the pane was printed by ISSP (Irish Security Stamp Printing Ltd.) was issued 4 September 1998).
The book was reprinted (HB67p) containing stamps with 2mm wide phosphor frames and issued 25 January 1999. These had perforations 14.25 x 14.75.

The one you are looking for: HB67ap (HP109pa)
The listing in the Hibernian has been updated and is not completely consistent (stamps issued 25 April 2001, but book issued ? March 2001). The perforation is quite different from what my old 2009 edition states, being 10.75 x 13.25 and thus different from the 1998/1999 ISSP books. The book, apparently, was printed by Questa.

The stamps are gummed. The front cover shows a blackbird on a branch. At the bottom is a green bar stating it is a stamp book and from An Post. To the right of the blackbird is a blue area with £3 in white.

The right one appears to be Hibernian HB90 (pane issued 9 October 2001, containing the self-adhesive stamps with "N" (national tariff). This has a reddish cover with green bars top and bottom. It shows "ten stamps" in yellow and orange and to the left the blackbird stamp.
Edited by NSK - 10/23/2021 03:44 am
Pillar Of The Community
1125 Posts
Posted 10/23/2021   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Had some time to look at these stamps.

First: the cover

Second: the 1998 and 1999 ISSP panes. The former has no phosphor frame, the latter has.

Third: ISSP and Questa (or at least, it should be)

The Questa stamps (pair on top) appear on a somewhat brighter white paper. Also, both have the same number of perforation holes horizontally. I make this just under 14.25 gauge. The 10.25 does not make much sense. I never heard of Questa using this gauge.
Vertically, the perforations line up. The 13.25 gauge also appears incorrect. 15 is closer to the mark. I am tempted to say the 2020 Hibernian is incorrect and the 2009 is correct.

I find the Questa perforation to be somewhat erratic. The ISSP one appears much more regular.

Fourth: Éire

It appears the stamp at the top - that should be the 2001 stamp - has a wider setting of the word "Éire." Now, pictures can give incorrect images. I measure the original booklet stamp's inscription as 9 mm at the centre of the word "Éire." The booklet with phosphor frame has it 8.5 mm. And, surprisingly, the stamp on top - the Questa one - has it 8mm wide.

Fifth: phosphor
Well: the Questa stamp to the left is much duller under long-wave uv light than the ISSP one.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1149 Posts
Posted 10/24/2021   12:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
NSK: Thank you for the great response. You've help me and many other collectors with Ireland.
Pillar Of The Community
1125 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Disregard what I wrote above. I just saw - probably a misidentified - that shows this booklet with the barcode shown in my picture.

There also is a booklet with barcode 5 391346 000409. This shows 12 full perforation holes horizontally. This also would coincide with the 10.25 gauge. The poster identifies this as the 1998 book. I have a strong suspicion he mixed up his 2001 and 1998 books. This, almost certainly, is the 2001 book. This raises a question about my "Questa" stamps. They may be ISSP stamps with a duller phosphor.
Edited by NSK - 10/26/2021 11:41 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6534 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad to hear that I am not the only person befuddled by what the catalogs present with these stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
1125 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the Hibernian handbook is an excellent resource. The 2020 edition shows much improvement on the already good 2009 edition. However, there remain some areas for improvement. As I note in my thread on the Ïrish Symbols" definitives, it fails to mention when the 6d "Sword of Light" was issued.

In the case of this particular booklet, it does not mention the barcodes at all. It is the clearest distinguishing feature for at least one of the three listed editions of this booklet.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33615 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm glad to hear that I am not the only person befuddled by what the catalogs present with these stamps.

I'll join that society also.
I lost it very early.

Perhaps we can forgive the editors, are not they reliant on the Philatelist, reporting and listing new issues?
And, in turn the relationship, he / she has with the printer/s.

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 438Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05