Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

British Empire Exhibition

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 417Next Topic  
Rest in Peace

720 Posts
Posted 10/25/2021   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Glenn Estus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My local stamp club (Chittenden County in Burlington, Vermont) has not been able to have in person meetings for almost 18 months due to the lack of rooms available. Our regular meeting place is still closed to the public and looks like it might not open up to the public anytime soon.

In the meantime, the club has been using google meetings to keep in touch with each other. Last month, I did a presentation on the British Empire Exhibition (1924 & 1925) for the club. I thought that others here might be interested in seeing what I presented. Please keep in mind this is not an exhibit but rather a presentation. For each Keynote slide I talked a little about what was shown. I try to keep my presentations to about 20 minutes. From what I've read, research shows that today's viewers get restless after about 20-25 minutes. The whole presentation (in pdf form) is online at http://glennestus.com/Presentations/BEE1924.pdf . Of course if anyone has material that they think would interest me, I'm more than willing to correspond with them.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1877 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   05:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Saved to look at properly tomorrow.

I have a Sydney 1924 slogan cancel for the exhibition (I think). I'll locate and scan it in the morning.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
314 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   07:48 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Glenn,

Thanks for sharing this - awesome!

John
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5976 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   08:13 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Glenn - very attractive. You may like to see these cards, issued under the Churchman brand in 1924. These are rather rough-and-ready compared with most of Mardon and Hall's printing for Imperial Tobacco (which Churchman joined in 1902 following the Tobacco War).

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1219 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Happy memories Geoff. My grandad had this set, and passed it on to my dad. I remember it well, as it was one of the starting points in my youth for my collecting rectangular bits of paper.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5976 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   5:33 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent! It's not an expensive set, but you don't see that many of them.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1877 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As it turns out, I have two Sydney slogan cancels.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33623 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work Bobby.
Any idea what model Machine canceller?
Looks kinda like a roller cancel to me.

Western Australia's contribution......

Western Australia
The Slogan Postmarks to 1983
Brian Whittaker
WA Study Group
Monograph No1

Edited by rod222 - 10/26/2021 10:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1877 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   11:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod!

Bruce says "these were applied by an endless roller electrically driven"
Pillar Of The Community
3968 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   12:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
endless roller electrically driven = cancelling machine

Add: A number of countries use a continuous "repeater" style of machine cancel. The cancelling head is about 6" in circumference, containing 2 dials and 2 killer/slogan sections. Using Bobby's first example, note the red lines drawn through the verticals of the N of London and L of April, do not align in the same letters above them. Easily seen as two separate hand-settings of the slogan when they were cast.

(Corrected image here. Thanks stamporator!)

Bobby's second example also is a 2-dial canceling head, note the central low point of the M of the PM slug in the dial. The first M stops halfway down while the second one goes all the way to the baseline.

Bobby's covers show only about 85% of the entire cancel circumference. Building on that, the images from Whittaker's book are rather lacking. Ideally, they would show a full rotation to include 2 dials and 2 slogans.

South Africa has some wonderful machine cancels like this with the bilingual slogans in alternating slogan slots.
Edited by John Becker - 10/27/2021 3:58 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33623 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   12:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We never stop learning !
Thanks to both.
Valued Member
Canada
427 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamporator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John Becker... In your latest post you have provided 'red' lines that are NOT aligned on the same characters! The first set align on the 2nd 'N' of London and the second set are aligned on the 1st 'N' in London.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33623 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Bobby's second example also is a 2-dial canceling head,

This is where I ran into trouble,
I had assumed a single CDS and slogan, for each rotation of the cylinder. (A "trip" procedure)
Ergo, one would get a single imprint for each cover.
Edited by rod222 - 10/27/2021 7:23 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33623 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Building on that, the images from Whittaker's book are rather lacking. Ideally, they would show a full rotation to include 2 dials and 2 slogans.

In defence of Mr. Whittaker, he indeed indicated a multi head canceller
Please note after the image identification there is an "R" in brackets,
indicating a multi head die.

It is I that is lacking,
I should be prodded into recollecting
"when everything else fails, read the manual"

Mr Whittaker's preamble........
( showing image of just the slogan would be a prudent use of paper etc)

Edited by rod222 - 10/27/2021 7:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3968 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, Yes, that extra page adds considerably. Thanks.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1877 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting stuff folks! Thanks for all the extra info
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 417Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05