Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1923 Franklin 1c Green

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 236Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
11 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Activated to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Someone was trying to buy this stamp from me but the energy and facial expressions were telling me they wanted it way more than they were offering. Thoughts and opinions on this one, please, my friends?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
3949 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This stamp was a workhorse value/design from 1923 to 1938, literally printing in the billions. There are quite a few varieties which look identical to this stamp differing by printing method (flat vs rotary), perforation rate (several types), and format (sheet, booklet, and coil, although your stamp is a sheet version which rules out booklets and coils).

Building on your recent post about a 5 cent stamp, you appear to be going down the rabbit hole that your stamps must be the extremely rare variety rather than first assuming you have the most common variety and then working to eliminate types until a final ID is reached. The odds are extremely, extremely long that a random single stamp would be a rare or valuable variety. Better odds to buy lottery ticket.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Activated to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quite the contrary, I don't think I have anything extremely valuable. However, I don't want to sell something that may be worth a lot more than offered. At least something fair is all I seek. Since I posted this I watched a few videos on perf. counts and printing types. Is it your experience that tells you it is sheet press? It has no offset and measures frame to frame at 19. I don't have a perf gauge though.
Pillar Of The Community
3949 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   12:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Booklet stamps will have one or two straight edges. Coil stamps will have 2, on opposite sides. Your stamp is perforated all around, thus can only be from a sheet format.

Measuring the image size is vastly overrated. Far better to examine the other features first and throw the ruler away.

Yes, acquiring the essential "tools" will enhance your experience. Tongs. Perforation gauge (gauged, not counted). Watermark tray and fluid. Catalog.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 236Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.13 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05