Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada Stamps – Post Or Postage

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 398Next Topic  
Rest in Peace
7742 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hope this is not a stupid question, but why do some Canada stamps have "Post" and some have "Postage".?

Robert

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33627 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating question, Robert.
I have no suggestions, need to hear from the frame engraver.
"POST" to me, looks wrong.

A quick Google suggests, in the early days "Mail" was used for articles going abroad, and "Post" for domestic delivery.

and,

"Post" is used to refer to an occasion when letters or packages are delivered. For example, first post on a particular day is the first time that things are delivered.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 10/27/2021 8:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7724 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I may be wrong, but isn't the name of the Canadian Post Office " Canada Post" or "Postes Canada"?
OK, I woke up. It is not "Canada Postage"!

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 10/27/2021 8:25 pm
Rest in Peace
7742 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just wondering then guys..
So the post office of Canada can be called " Canada Post" and "Canada Postage"..??

Robert

Valued Member
Canada
179 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mirman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice try, but no.
Rest in Peace
7742 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mirman..My east coastner friend {i am an east coastner also}..What do you think why the differences..??

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1234 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Originally The Post Office Department was operated as a seperate branch of the Canadian Government. In 1981 the Canada Post Corporation Act created The Canada Post Corporation (CPC) as a Crown Corporation, seperate from government as the replacement successor.

May be a reason for the word "Post". But Postage or Post do mean the same thing, don't they?
Edited by No1philatelist - 10/27/2021 10:06 pm
Rest in Peace
7742 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ya...I guess you are right No1philatelist.
Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1234 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, I am thinking that as it seems rationale, but I stand to be corrected if not.

Mike
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
828 Posts
Posted 10/29/2021   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly there is some variation on earlier stamps but I would bet it boils down to a simple translation issue. The French "Postes" and the English " Post" come closest to a simple, direct, translation that is more or less the same in meaning. The literal translation of " Postage" is not quite as simple. So most likely at some point the powers that be decided that the words that shall appear will be "Postes" and "Post".
Valued Member
Canada
179 Posts
Posted 10/29/2021   10:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mirman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Canada Post Corporation (French: Société canadienne des postes), trading as Canada Post (French: Postes Canada), is a Crown corporation which functions as the primary postal operator in Canada. Originally known as Royal Mail Canada (the operating name of the Post Office Department of the Canadian government founded in 1867, French: Courrier Royal Canada), rebranding was done to the " Canada Post" name in the late 1960s, even though it had not yet been separated from the government. On October 16, 1981, the Canada Post Corporation Act came into effect. This abolished the Post Office Department and created the present-day Crown corporation which provides postal service.

... Canada Post (French: Postes Canada) is the Federal Identity Program name. The legal name is Canada Post Corporation in English and Société canadienne des postes in French. During the late 1980s and much of the 1990s, the short forms used in the corporation's logo were "Mail" (English) and "Poste" (French), rendered as "Poste Mail" in Québec and "Mail Poste" in the other provinces. Although English-language advertising also still referred to the corporation as " Canada Post".

Now why Post and Postage? Great question that beats me but I believe they technically mean the same thing, so...
Valued Member
Canada
127 Posts
Posted 10/30/2021   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pollux to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Larousse dictionary:

Postage, action de poster, de mettre à la poste / Postage, the act of posting, of mailing.
Pillar Of The Community
3585 Posts
Posted 10/30/2021   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Started with a change of printer in 1930 from CBN to BABN. Then, CBN in 1935 adopted BABN change after change of printer from BABN back to CBN.
Edited by jogil - 10/30/2021 4:16 pm
Learn More...
9925 Posts
Posted 10/30/2021   5:14 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is not the differentiator either 'post/postage' or 'revenue'?
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7145 Posts
Posted 10/30/2021   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I always was under the impression that it was design driven because of the available space for the verbiage on horizontal issues such as the
1927 Parliament Buildings and Map of Canada as well as the 1928-9 Mount Hurd, Harvesting Wheat, Bluenose and Parliament Building. The smaller portrait issues had the space but I imagine they wanted continuity/uniformity of terminology.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 398Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05