Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Facebook Being Renamed And Rebranded; Get Your Virtual Stamp Collections Now

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,312Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2138 Posts
Posted 10/28/2021   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Because there's no better place to cry about the sky falling and technology killing civilization than on an online forum dedicated to philately.

Absolutely true! Better here than facebook or twitter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2055 Posts
Posted 10/28/2021   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I miss my Amiga 2000 and Kodachrome.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8793 Posts
Posted 10/29/2021   12:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually there was a lot good about the past, as there is with today's technology, but neither one was/is all sunshine and lollipops and disparaging one or the other in totality is ill informed. Technology as we know it now and what is quickly coming is extremely powerful and the more powerful the tool the more damaging it can be if misused. For all the talk of how unifying tech can be people spend an inordinate amount of time alone staring at their devices.

Throughout life I learned how to interact with different people by being with them. Humans are animals capable of sensing so much in real time. A screen is not a replacement for that. I find interpersonal skills sorely lacking in younger people that grew up with a screen stuck in their face.

Screen addiction is an interesting topic to explore sometime.

PS: The whole point is that the tech companies are manipulating you. Playing you like the proverbial fiddle and the more you come to rely upon them the more power they have. You are looked at as a thing to be analyzed and monetized. Nothing more.
Edited by rogdcam - 10/29/2021 12:25 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
568 Posts
Posted 10/29/2021   10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a legal maneuver. By renaming FB to Meta the intent is to restructure and create a subsidiary which will own all the legacy stuff including liabilities. That subsidiary will then declare bankruptcy and wipe out all the lawsuits and penalties that have been mounting against FB.

This is a tactic recently used by JJ to distance themselves from the Talcum Power legalities.

I'm sure a lawyer could give a better explanation beyond my rough summation above.

Regardless of any stories circulating, I think 'META' is a hilarious name probably derived from 'Meta Data', which is a keystone of their income strategies.

shermae: I too miss Kodachrome, my Atari Console (Space Invaders) and some days, my Commodore 64!
Edited by jconey - 10/29/2021 10:41 am
Valued Member
United States
450 Posts
Posted 10/29/2021   11:10 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More like...

Idiocracy 2 - The Sequel

Fans of the 2006 classic movie Idiocracy (do they exist?) will immediately recognize the nonsense currently going on.

Yay - Technology - Yay - Cyborgs - Yay - Transhumanism - Yay

John
Pillar Of The Community
609 Posts
Posted 10/29/2021   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are looking for an interesting series to watch, I suggest Black Mirror. Each episode is independent and often the theme is technology and the dangers that may unexpectedly come with it. It is quite forward thinking and even has episodes involving Virtual Reality worlds and the world of social media avatars and ratings. Well worth the watch IMO and offers some food for thought as we are continuously bombarded with new things that are touted as life improving.
Edited by stamps101 - 10/29/2021 11:14 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3500 Posts
Posted 10/30/2021   07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It makes since to change the name but Meta sounds boring but suspect it will offer products via brands like Facebook, etc. Facebook did state they plan to try to attract the younger crowd.

As for names, IBM is spinning off its services division and calling it Kyndryl so IBM stockholders will be getting Kyndryl stock.
Al
Edited by angore - 10/30/2021 07:29 am
Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
Posted 10/30/2021   08:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My "understanding" is that this is a long term project and represents a pivot for FB. This will not be the company, but a growth opportunity. It also is a crowed space, gaming companies (Activision was stated) MSFT, AAPL, are also invested, and investig in this space. What got everyone's attention was the 80 billion spent on "virtual" accouterments for avatars. Stamp collecting including Siegels 27 million Hips 5 million "investment" the Magenta, the Inverted Jenny block, and all the rest probably doesn't total 2 billion in expenditures last year. I don't know, but in my opinion stamp collecting as a business opportunity is probably too small to be included in the "metaverse", and the participants are not a target demographic as of yet.

Cheers

Additionally Don is correct about the amount of information that this would generate. As another poster stated, if you can't id the product it's you. And FB has shown that they can monetize information, you.
Edited by GMC89 - 10/30/2021 08:39 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5499 Posts
Posted 10/30/2021   09:58 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A Facebook virtual universe... where only one ideology/point of view is deemed acceptable and all contrary points of view are quietly scrubbed from existence. Sounds like a lovely place to be. NOT.
Learn More...
United States
10752 Posts
Posted 10/30/2021   10:18 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dan,
No, no, that's one of the great things about a VR world that is better then the current FB. They will help you to make your virtual persona, invite you to come in and sit down, and then silence you; you walk around as a mute.
Don
Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
Posted 10/30/2021   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A related note. Clive Thompson has an interesting piece in today's WSJ. "Online Communities That Actually Work" .
"I'm thinking of the countless discussion boards that are devoted to hobbies or passions like fly fishing, cuisine, art, long distance cycling...."
"These communities are small, and smallness makes the difference. First these groups have a sense of cohesion.... More important small groups typically have people who work to keep interactions civil" ...." But what's important is that they model good behavior " ... Nice piece, could have been titled SCF acknowledged today.

Valued Member
United States
450 Posts
Posted 10/30/2021   11:42 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No, no, that's one of the great things about a VR world that is better then the current FB. They will help you to make your virtual persona, invite you to come in and sit down, and then silence you; you walk around as a mute.

No, no, no. That's not enough excitement, Don. We need digital "truth" commissions, followed by digital public torture and digital public executions. That will keep 'em coming back for more!

Bread and circuses...

John
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,312Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05