Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Review Of The Amos Press (Scott) Universal 3 Ring Binder With Slipcase

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 2,295Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1258 Posts
Posted 10/29/2021   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Timm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

The Universal 3 Ring Binder with Slipcase comes in Blue or Black with Item Numbers: SSBSBL or SSBSBK
The Binder Dimensions are: 11.5"(H) x 10.25"(W) x 1.5"(D)
The Slipcase Dimensions are: 11.875"(H) x 10.25"(W) x 1.875"(D)
The Price from Amos Press is $19.95 each, plus $7.95 shipping or if you spend $65.00 or more you get free shipping.

When I received my order of binders I was please with the quality of the binders and slip cases. The items look well made and the binders have a strong ring mechanism which must be pushed on the top and bottom simultaneously to open. The are no indications on the either item as to where they are made; there is however a World Wide Stationery Holdings Co. Ltd logo stamped on the ring mechanism

Founded in 1979, World Wide Stationery Holdings Co. Ltd. has been designing and manufacturing precision ring mechanisms for over thirty years. Their headquarters are located in Hong Kong, with manufacturing facilities in China and India.

Each binder comes with a pair of white curved page lifters.

Personally I prefer the triangular style sheet lifters for my stamp albums.

There are some things I do not like about the binders and slip cases. The first thing you notice is the capacity. Approximately 60 stamp filled pages; less if you mount items like booklets.

I currently am using Avery and Wilson Jones 2 inch binders with no slip covers. My 1922 to 2020 Ireland collection is in five 2 inch binders. To place my Ireland collection in these Scott Binders would take at least 10 or more binders to do so. That's almost $200.00 (possibly more) for just one country. I have over two hundred 2 inch notebooks filled with stamps. To switch every thing over to these Scott Binders would cost me over $10,000.

These Scott Binders need to have their capacity doubled to 2 inches.

I like the slip cases except for the notches on the sides to assist removing the binder; they need to be deeper. Fat finger people like my self will have some difficultly removing the binder from the case.

I am debating whether or not to purchase more of these binders and slip cases; maybe for 1 or 2 favorite countries, but certainly not all of them.

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36199 Posts
Posted 10/29/2021   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice review
$20 for an album and slipcase, that's seems a very good deal.

Not in favour of the ring opening system.

Quote:
My 1922 to 2020 Ireland collection is in five 2 inch binders. To place my Ireland collection in these Scott Binders would take at least 10 or more binders to do so.

Indeed, the bane of the Worldwide collector.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6664 Posts
Posted 10/30/2021   01:03 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few of these, which appear similar -

https://www.dauwalders.co.uk/salisb...-75408-p.asp

I suppose I'd characterise them as functional, but, to someone who grew up with cloth-bound binders, not especially attractive. I've also found that the covering material on the slipcases can tend to come away, exposing the cardboard beneath. I use them for postcards, rather than stamps.
Valued Member
United States
341 Posts
Posted 10/30/2021   01:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Timm, Thanks for the review. I've been considering getting a few of these, primarily for the slipcases, but the limited capacity is definitely a downside.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3490 Posts
Posted 10/30/2021   07:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the review. It is a shame the capacity is a real limitation.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
568 Posts
Posted 10/30/2021   09:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good review. The price is right but the capacity is disappointing. I have to agree about the page lifters.

The only time I find slip covers to be useful is if I'm transporting albums(s) traveling to a show, club meeting or other location. Otherwise, I find them to be in the way. But that's just my 2 cents...
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6664 Posts
Posted 10/30/2021   09:42 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They keep out dust and help to keep the binder in shape - but they do take up space.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36199 Posts
Posted 10/30/2021   09:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The only time I find slip covers to be useful is if I'm transporting albums(s) traveling to a show, club meeting or other location. Otherwise, I find them to be in the way. But that's just my 2 cents...

Try this,
place your albums on a bookshelf somewhere, and leave for a week.
Slip on a white glove, and wipe your finger down the shelf

I would be surprised if your finger was not black with dust.

Valued Member
139 Posts
Posted 10/30/2021   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am also a really big fan of this album (great quality, and value), and am frustrated that it is just too small! The reason I prefer this to Lighthouse/Vario albums is because of the minimal styling, also I believe these are more durable. If they could make this 2" or even 3", it would be my dream album. I'm not aware of any three ring binders with slipcases besides this and Lighthouse.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6664 Posts
Posted 10/30/2021   1:11 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are lots of binders with slipcases - most are 4-ring, which is the international norm. Also 22-ring, as well as the proprietary ring systems.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
568 Posts
Posted 10/30/2021   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222: In my case, my binders are in closed metal units originally made to store computer room data tapes. The door(s) are kept shut when I'm not actively using them. So the white glove test really doesn't come up with anything although I do check from time to time. Also there really isn't "extra" space on the shelf the binders fit in with little or no slop between but they aren't so tight that you have to force them in.

And yes the roll down doors were pH tested and are safe. The bottoms were originally vented for raised computer room floor environments but I closed the bottom off with a vapor barrier and a plywood sheet which raises them up off the floor a bit. It also helps keep the cabinets from biting into the carpet. They aren't absolutely air tight but they do keep the dust out. These are old photos but the basic use is still the same, just more black binders.

Note Added: The vapor barrier is a un-coated tyvek (pH 7) used for frame backing.

Edited by jconey - 10/30/2021 3:58 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36199 Posts
Posted 10/30/2021   4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmmm, yes I see,
you are a good custodian.
Valued Member
United States
341 Posts
Posted 10/30/2021   11:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
tsmatx said: I'm not aware of any three ring binders with slipcases besides this and Lighthouse.

Bindertek makes 3-ring binders with slipcases in various sizes, including 2" and 3". I've been thinking of trying these out as well, but they have a finger hole in the spine to, I suppose, make removal from the slipcase easier and these holes could allow dust to enter. I suppose a piece of tape could be added to the inside of the binder to seal it up though.

https://www.bindertek.com/one-touch...ase-3-spine/

Edited by Coastwatcher - 10/30/2021 11:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8752 Posts
Posted 10/31/2021   12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1258 Posts
Posted 10/31/2021   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My estimates of page capacity are based on 110lb card stock paper with stamps in Scott mounts.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6664 Posts
Posted 10/31/2021   12:53 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It sounds as if you're using thicker paper than that used by most album manufacturers, then adding mounts instead of hinges, in which case sixty pages per volume looks quite good.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 2,295Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05