Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Computer Vended Postage

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 496Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...

604 Posts
Posted 10/31/2021   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rismoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am trying to find out more information specifically about series such as Halley's comet and others.

Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scott-2CVP...183538370031

I am trying to understand the varieties. For instance in the above lot I see different colors/denominations like on the $3.85. Were the colors user selected, machine random, or locale specific? I was surprised to see the price high on some of the scarce issues but haven't come across them so much.

Any help on how these worked would br super helpful

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
901 Posts
Posted 10/31/2021   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rismoney

I can't answer any of your questions but wanted to post an auction result for an issue by stamps.com: https://www.siegelauctions.com/sale/CH01 The sale was for charity and the price realized can only be explained by someone's generosity.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7450 Posts
Posted 10/31/2021   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That particular eBay set from Lang's was an experimental issue of which 540 were produced minus the green $3.85. There were only 200 of the green $3.85 produced. Spink Shreve sold a set a while back for $1500 + tip. Not a whole lot of in-depth info available on these as a whole as you have found out. pnc3.com has some info. Craig Selig sells CVP.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2809 Posts
Posted 11/01/2021   9:10 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are nothing more than personalized postage printed to order and the person who placed the order specified the colors and the quantities. I think it was either Gitner or Marlen who was pushing them.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7450 Posts
Posted 11/01/2021   9:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These are nothing more than personalized postage printed to order and the person who placed the order specified the colors and the quantities. I think it was either Gitner or Marlen who was pushing them.

If you are referencing the specific set shown in the eBay link you are 110% wrong.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2809 Posts
Posted 11/02/2021   8:15 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The seller states they were previously listed in Scott as 2CVP numbers. There is a 2 paragraph note at the end of the CVP section. The second paragraph starts out with"

"Personalized postage stamps, first available in 2004, created by a variety of different companies, and heretofore listed with Scott numbers starting with "2CVP", are no longer listed."

So exactly where am I 110% wrong?

Even if you want to argue they were non-personalizable (first paragraph in the Scott note), they are still just artificial "rarities".
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7450 Posts
Posted 11/02/2021   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Eye - You are wrong because the Scott 2CVP listings were based on the frames and other design considerations but not the personalized images. They were removed from Scott in 2009 after first appearing in 2006. The reasons given were that the listings included the potential for a fast-growing selection of unrestricted varieties, and the fact that the postage was sold "at a significant premium above the stated face value to cover the costs of personalization, shipping and handling."

In other words the value of the Lang's set shown in the eBay link is not based upon the personalized postage created (the image) but rather the base design of which only 540 were produced for all except the green $3.85 issue of which only 200 were produced. Gitner or Marlen or whomever had zero to do with that.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
604 Posts
Posted 11/09/2021   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
looks like gitner was pushing them...

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 496Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05