Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New To Stamp Collecting Need Advice On Storage, Cataloguing And Sleeves

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 692Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
28 Posts
Posted 11/01/2021   09:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stamp Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

Like the title says im new to stamp collecting. I have already accumulated allot of stamps. Since I am attempting to collect at least one of every Canadian stamps including Provinces and b.o.b. there are allot of stamps to be sorted and stored. I want to store them by Scott # in order. Ok now on to the questions.

1. Not all of the stamps im acquiring are singles, some are blocks or strips etc. If for example I use some type of stamp binder pages, how do I keep them in order if the blocks or strips or sheets are too big to fit in the singles slot? Do I insert bigger pages in between the single stamp pages? I want to keep everything in order of Scott Catalogue #.

2. What is the most cost effective clear stamp sleeves for singles strips, sheets or blocks that you would recommend? Like I said a good number of the stamps are blocks or sheets also but I want to keep them protected.

3. Is there a master checklist from the beginning until the present for Canadian Stamps etc. I would like a complete collection over time but I need to know what Im missing. On a side note I think I will start a spreadsheet for the stamps that I have but that doesn't help with what im missing.

Any advice would be great. I want to keep this as organized as possible. But I dont want to spend more on storage and space than what the stamps cost!

Thanks and Regards

Sheldon

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
United States
10625 Posts
Posted 11/01/2021   09:31 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome. You can download free checklists for every Canadian regular issue stamp from 1851 to 2011 here https://stampsmarter.org/features/C...adaHome.html

Online Canadian identifier
https://stampsmarter.org/features/H...iersCan.html
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
28 Posts
Posted 11/01/2021   09:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Welcome. You can download free checklists for every Canadian regular issue stamp from 1851 to 2011 here https://stampsmarter.org/features/C...adaHome.html

Don

Hi Don,

Thanks for the very quick reply. How about the years between 2011 and Present Day or would you suggest working on 1851 - 2011 first maybe?

thanks again!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8025 Posts
Posted 11/01/2021   09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi stampcollector, and welcome. For newer stamps after 2011 you can use any catalog of Canadian stamps. Some are even available on line, like www.stampworld.com .

Peter
Valued Member
Canada
28 Posts
Posted 11/01/2021   12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Don

I dont see the downloadable checklist. Can anybody show me where it is. I like the site but I didnt see a downloadable list?

Thanks
Learn More...
United States
10625 Posts
Posted 11/01/2021   12:51 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Navigate to the page
https://stampsmarter.org/features/C...adaHome.html

Then click on the buttons to download the checklist (checklists are PDF files).

Alternatively, you can click the 'Library' in the top menu, then click on the 'Album Pages' button, then click on 'CANADIAN CHECK LIST' launch button.
Valued Member
Canada
317 Posts
Posted 11/01/2021   2:38 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there a master checklist from the beginning until the present for Canadian Stamps etc. I would like a complete collection over time but I need to know what Im missing. On a side note I think I will start a spreadsheet for the stamps that I have but that doesn't help with what im missing.

If you are serious about collecting Canadian stamps then you should probably look at getting something more than a checklist - The Unitrade Canadian stamp Catalogue is probably the most widely used catalogue for Canada. Your local library might have a copy, or else they regularly come up on eBay, you can save a fair amount by seeking out a copy a few years old - but be careful not to overpay, for example, a local Vancouver dealer is offering the brand new 2022 edition for CDN$46.95.

If you are interested in creating, or downloading and printing your own albums, then click on the link in my signature.
Clive

AlbumEasy - Free software for creating custom stamp album pages
PSGSA - The Philatelic Society for Greater Southern Africa

Pillar Of The Community
United States
704 Posts
Posted 11/01/2021   7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd suggest the following:

1) use a Unitrade catalog, not Scott. Unitrade will cover a lot of variants that Scott doesn't recognize. The completist collector for a given country should use the most comprehensive catalog available for that country.
2) start with the low-hanging fruit, namely modern (post-war) issues. Work backwards, or at least in 25 year increments. You'll find there's a lot of satisfaction in knowing that you have everything from 1960-2020, or 1940-1945, or whatever.
3) since you'll acquire some issues as singles, others as souvenir sheets, pairs, blocks of four, etc, look seriously into something like Lighthouse's Vario line of pages. These offer a ton of flexibility in organization and preservation. If nothing else, stick with an ordinary stock book until you have a decade or three done, and then mount those in some way.
4) take your time. If you're new to the hobby, your style and interests, even for "just" Canada, will change as the months go by.
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 11/04/2021   11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add roadrunner88 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Joining a Canada based philatelic society might be very beneficial for you. I currently belong to the British North America Philatelic Society (BNAPS). BNAPS also has study groups devoted to particular aspects of Canadian philately. In the past, I also belonged to the Royal Philatelic Society of Canada.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 692Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05