Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Font On Quadrille - OH My!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 535Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...

614 Posts
Posted 11/02/2021   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rismoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I came across this browsing on the upcoming Siegel sale
https://siegelauctions.com/2021/1245/pdf/2265.pdf

How in the world was that font written so neatly like that?
The drawings are wild too!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
430 Posts
Posted 11/02/2021   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That looks like Leroy, used by drafters in the old days of ink and paper drawings.
https://link.springer.com/content/p...3-0652-2.pdf
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7239 Posts
Posted 11/02/2021   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Germania is correct, I believe. With a Leroy set, each one of those letters had to be inked on...and if you made a mistake...Too bad for you!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
769 Posts
Posted 11/02/2021   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to do this back in the 1970s and early '80s but was never very happy with the results. It is difficult for a non-professional draughtsman to get the spacing correct between the letters. In particular, it was even more difficult to insert centred text. On top of that, maintenance of the draughting pens was always a chore I could do without but skipping this could ruin the pens which were not inexpensive. This was before the days of pigment liners.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
614 Posts
Posted 11/02/2021   7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much!
I just watched this, and I can't believe the amount of labor! I don't think I can spend that much time writing things nor is my handwriting so interesting/neat. Anyone use a label maker with custom stamp pages? :)

GZRvQDMBEOE
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7239 Posts
Posted 11/02/2021   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have used my computer and printer with quadrille pages, after experimenting with cheaper paper to get the spacing correct.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 11/02/2021 8:24 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
615 Posts
Posted 11/02/2021   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That lot is a real labor of love, to assemble the collection of stamps, plan and configure the layout, and then execute it. Thanks Rismoney for posting this.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1239 Posts
Posted 11/02/2021   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
Pillar Of The Community
501 Posts
Posted 11/02/2021   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A warm welcome to my world, which is Architecture. I have seen a lot of change since 1986, but have been with the same firm the whole time. I just lent a Structural engineer a roll of drawings from the late 70s that I knew he could scan himself. Not so long ago I would have had to get out the tape and fix up any drawings with ripped edges and carefully run them through the printer. I hope he's being careful...I am very glad that I don't have to rinse out pens anymore. Electrostatic plotters replaced the pen plotters, and now we just use a giant HP.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 535Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05