Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Perforation Tips White In Photo's. What Does This Mean?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 308Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
28 Posts
Posted 11/05/2021   10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stamp Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have notice quite a few images of vintage stamps with perforation tips whiter than the base color of the stamp. Any info would be appreciated.

regards

Send note to Staff
Edited by Stamp Collector - 11/05/2021 10:34 am

Rest in Peace
7742 Posts
Posted 11/05/2021   11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stamp Collector
My answer, remember is just my opinion...Others may have other ideas.

Robert

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
28 Posts
Posted 11/05/2021   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
grazie Signore
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2049 Posts
Posted 11/05/2021   11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wert- it would be interesting to see if multiples or sheets of a similar vintage to the OP's example show this loss of gum. If caused by perf pins then the gum should already be missing in between stamps of a multiple. And would we expect gum to be missing all along the perf hole?

Another possible theory might be that both the paper and gum are slightly thinned or removed when the stamp edges have been folded and torn during the process of separating single stamps. Also strictly a theory...
Learn More...
United States
10086 Posts
Posted 11/05/2021   1:52 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It sometimes indicates that someone regummed the stamp and then used sandpaper/file to removed the the gum that covered the perf tips (which would clearly reveal the regumming).
Don
Rest in Peace
7742 Posts
Posted 11/05/2021   2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
True Don..Something to look out for...
Here are a couple of perfs I put together..
Robert

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7401 Posts
Posted 11/05/2021   2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perforation pins do not cause white perf tips but separating the stamps will cause a bit of natural gum loss that shows up more when the gum is not white. The older the multiple when broken the more likely gum loss is. Gum ages and can dry out. I would not expect to see the white areas on the tips in most cases if a stamp was regummed unless somebody was a pro and took a lot of time and care to sand them as Don stated. In the case of the original OP's magnified image it was obviously not sanded because the perf tip fibers are still intact. If regummed, the tips might be covered in the new or redistributed gum which is why it would be sanded in the first place. If gum collects on the tip fibers from applying gum it is a tell for regumming and you would want to get rid of it.

Personally I think that both of Wert's examples are regummed. I see gum on the inside perf hole edges on both. Could be wrong given that the pics are a bit unclear.

PS: Magnification can be a good thing but like drinking alcohol it can become a problem if taken to far. The forest for the trees and all of that.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5683 Posts
Posted 11/05/2021   2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ANOTHER OPINION ------If stamps are shoved into the bottom of some of the PLASTIC mounts or Plastic glassine you could be seeing the unstable plastic reacting over time to the gum or paper ,sort of like it melting or sticking to the stamps ,I ran into this stamp sticking in mounts a few times but never exaimaned the perfs because it was cheaper stamps .
Valued Member
Canada
28 Posts
Posted 11/05/2021   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perforation pins do not cause white perf tips but separating the stamps will cause a bit of natural gum loss that shows up more when the gum is not white. The older the multiple when broken the more likely gum loss is. Gum ages and can dry out. I would not expect to see the white areas on the tips in most cases if a stamp was regummed unless somebody was a pro and took a lot of time and care to sand them as Don stated. In the case of the original OP's magnified image it was obviously not sanded because the perf tip fibers are still intact. If regummed, the tips might be covered in the new or redistributed gum which is why it would be sanded in the first place. If gum collects on the tip fibers from applying gum it is a tell for regumming and you would want to get rid of it.

Personally I think that both of Wert's examples are regummed. I see gum on the inside perf hole edges on both. Could be wrong given that the pics are a bit unclear.

PS: Magnification can be a good thing but like drinking alcohol it can become a problem if taken to far. The forest for the trees and all of that.

This might seem like the most likely. Due to the fibers being present I dont think this was filed and not to mention the stamp is not worth much.

Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 308Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05