Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking For Advice On Selling A Collection

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 458Next Topic  

United States
0 Posts
Posted 11/05/2021   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Arkansas to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello-
I am turning to the pros here for some advice. When my father passed away he had a large stamp collection (over 9 tote boxes full of albums plus some loose) with stamps from all over the world.
Being an organized man, he also left us a note with his approximated value and a guess at what it would actually bring if sold. Since no one in our family has interest in continuing his work we are interested in selling the entire collection.
We would appreciate any advice, guidance or other information anyone on this site may have to offer. We had contacted a dealer, but then saw some not so great reviews of them here and decided we should ask those of you who have a passion for this for some help. Any thing you can offer is greatly appreciated!! We do have every page photographed and on a memory card so hoping that may help.
Thanks so much!!!
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
United States
10448 Posts
Posted 11/05/2021   4:33 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.
To get the best advice some additional details and some (10-12) representative images would greatly help the community give you some direction. Do you know about how much was spent on the material? You can figure that you typically would see a percentage of what was originally spent, but giving you direction changes if your dad spent thousands of dollars vs. tens of thousands of dollars.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
568 Posts
Posted 11/05/2021   4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well there are several different paths you could take depending on what you have and what you'd like to get out of it. Not having any idea what you have other then a 'lot of stuff'. Here's a shot in the dark...

- Generally speaking, selling as a large single lot yields the least bang for the buck but it's the easiest way to go. One and done.

- Breaking it down yields more but also takes time and effort but the further you breaking things down the more return you're likely to see.

- If these are premium items, an auction house Siegel, Dutch Country or other? can be a good choice but the fees can be high.

- If you know someone knowledgeable that will help you, perhaps a consignment deal and or online auctions could be worked out.

- I tend to stay away from buyers from Mystic, Apfelbaum and other large merchants as the folks I know that have had dealings, didn't have a good experience. Others may disagree. That's just my own interpretation/experience.

- You could watch for stamp shows in your area and take parts in and have multiple dealers give you their thoughts.

Just my thoughts off the top of my head.

I agree the people here are a wealth of information. A few photos or general info about what the collection consists of might help advisors.

United States
0 Posts
Posted 11/07/2021   09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Arkansas to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate the advice and recommendations! Dad had estimated his collection at $90,000 and had it insured for that. But he also told us it would bring a fraction of that if sold. I also read the reviews on some of the more publicly advertised merchants and were not impressed.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
660 Posts
Posted 11/07/2021   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
check out this advice from Stamp-o-Rama on Inheriting a Stamp Collection

https://stamporama.com/articles/dis...AzVsUyz8ryqE

Edited by oldguy - 11/07/2021 5:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6383 Posts
Posted 11/07/2021   5:24 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My own advice to my daughter will be to sell my collections (stamps and cards) via an auction house that I'll recommend. She'll also have an indicative list of material to send them. The trick is finding the right auction house for the level of collection, and also the one that will put more effort in separating the material for lots. Commission will be about 20%. My understanding is that the commission rate for those who sell on behalf of others on eBay is closer to 30-35%.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 458Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05