Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Spain 19th Century Cancel

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 597Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
834 Posts
Posted 11/08/2021   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add backroads to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is this cancel with the star, part of a killer bar in a duplex cancel or a roller from a parcel, I presume, identifiable to a specific city or region? Or was it in common use through the country?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2813 Posts
Posted 11/08/2021   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The overall shape is a diamond. There are ones with differing numbers of dots.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
158 Posts
Posted 11/08/2021   8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RK1468 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The cancellation was used broadly in general use throughout the era. Super common on that issue.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35190 Posts
Posted 11/08/2021   8:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The cancellation was used broadly in general use throughout the era. Super common on that issue.

Surprising.
I looked through my lot, auction catalogues etc,
dashed if I could find any.
I had a few showing part dotted diamonds, but none complete enough with the star.

Have no literature on Spanish Pmks.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1203 Posts
Posted 11/08/2021   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some that I have (or had), actually found more with the diamond in the lozenge, rather than the star. Don't seem as common as some other cancels. I have the Edifil Spain specialized on order, will look to see what info they have on early cancels when it arrives.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
834 Posts
Posted 11/08/2021   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have gone back through my Spanish stock and can find one or two with portions of the grid. However, this is the only one with the star that I can remember. Too bad though that it does not seem to be identifiable with a city or area of the country.
Pillar Of The Community
2242 Posts
Posted 11/09/2021   02:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As far as I know, these cancellations were placed on arrival on stamps that have not been cancelled on origin, to prevent further use.Typical of XIX Spanish covers.
But, I don't know that much on Spanish postal history.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
158 Posts
Posted 11/09/2021   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RK1468 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edifil Catalogo Unificado Especializado (2014) lists both the diamond (rombo) and star (estrella) but doesn't differentiate as to rarity. This is the best reference that I have though Edifil certainly isn't definitive.

Edit: better image
Edited by RK1468 - 11/09/2021 12:25 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35190 Posts
Posted 11/09/2021   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fabulous!
Thanks RK.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
979 Posts
Posted 11/09/2021   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is some basic information concerning the Rombo de Puntos cancellations (section B52), from the Billigs Handbook on Postmarks, vol. 13, by Theo Van Dam.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2813 Posts
Posted 11/09/2021   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, rombo de puntos, it is. Once again, SCF members come through with the answers. Thanks, all! Don't stop adding if you have more...
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35190 Posts
Posted 11/09/2021   8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed,
thanks Spain_1850, and Billigs
Great stuff.
Valued Member
Spain
344 Posts
Posted 11/09/2021   8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello.
In old cities offices they may still exist.
Regards.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35190 Posts
Posted 11/09/2021   8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A bit too heavy for me.....$120 Australian
Billigs Vol 13
Edited by rod222 - 11/09/2021 8:07 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
979 Posts
Posted 11/09/2021   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Rod, how times have changed. I think I paid right around $10 (US) for mine. But that was about 20 years ago. It's not very big, and only has basic information about most postmarks, but I still reference it often.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35190 Posts
Posted 11/09/2021   10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I think you are more to the mark, Spain_1850,
I have the Billigs Monograph of France Revenues
similar size to yours, I paid $9 recently.

The mantra here on SCF is "You can ask what price you want without fear or favour"
It is what you pay is what counts.

I base my Billigs prices, on hardbound Volumes at $16 - $25 each AUD

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 597Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05