Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Was Curious To Learn The Person(S) Who Carved The Fireplace On Postcard.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,263Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
69 Posts
Posted 11/08/2021   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add VanNessbullion to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm near speechless when it comes to the overall beauty that lies within the detail of the fireplace displayed on this postcard. How can one learn of it's maker(s)?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Send note to Staff
Edited by VanNessbullion - 11/08/2021 10:47 pm

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
38679 Posts
Posted 11/08/2021   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
Posted 11/09/2021   12:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VanNessbullion to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222, will do. Thank you.

Brandon
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
38679 Posts
Posted 11/09/2021   02:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt very much you will find whom carved the fireplace.
If it is 16th Century, then installed by the Highmores whom appeared to have the land since the Norman Conquest (1066)

They owned the hall from 1540 to 1748

Bedrock Of The Community
10117 Posts
Posted 11/09/2021   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These stunning architectural elements were often created by simple but extremely talented craftsmen that remain anonymous through the ages. In the US Newport RI is a good example. While the architects are written about and celebrated the people that created the mantles and columns and stained glass are lost to history.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
7278 Posts
Posted 11/09/2021   08:59 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed. Grinling Gibbons was fortuitously "discovered" by John Evelyn.
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
Posted 11/10/2021   12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VanNessbullion to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
38679 Posts
Posted 11/10/2021   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for following up
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
Posted 11/10/2021   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VanNessbullion to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod222, my pleasure. I'm not done yet though.

At your service,

Brandon
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2116 Posts
Posted 11/10/2021   11:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes being nameless has advantages...

When I see VanNess as in VanNessbullion, I think of San Francisco's Van Ness Avenue which does have a coin and bullion shop.

It was nice to see your follow up Brandon. I assume you are an adult so I'd invite you for a beer as thanks. But one does not live long in the SF Bay Area if one was to say, Lets go Brandon, even for a beer. Elvis died on my birthday, it took time, years, but eventually the Elvis songs petered out on my birthday. So I trust your friends will some day be able to encourage you with a lets go....

Now if you want a real smile, think back to how your mom or dad would say lets go...and wonder how they would handle things if you were a kid today. There are parents with that humorous dilemma today. Me, if that was my first name, my dad would be using my middle name; mom, she'd enjoy using my first name just a bit more.

Great creations often outlive the names of their creators. Then the question becomes philosophical; which is more important, to have your name remembered or the amount of awe or joy you bring to unknown and untold others. I think for most craftspeople it is the latter with a rare few thinking their work would be still view with awe 500 years later.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 11/10/2021 11:15 pm
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
Posted 11/12/2021   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VanNessbullion to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Parcelpostguy,
I've read and reread your response to this post. Thank you for your time you gave to do so. Time, it's the most precious and valuable unknown. In time, time shall tell.
Let's go...in time.

At your service,

Brandon
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
Posted 11/12/2021   11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VanNessbullion to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So what's the story. What are the images here in this fireplace telling us? Then, once the story is learned, what do we do from there? As a good teacher does, not giving the answer to the pupil, just clues. I struggle often with the seemingly endless riddles, hints, clues, etc as a person works towards the solution. Why can't just every now and then the answer is simply, given? Who's to say that to throw us a bone, for sanity purposes, wouldn't as a result hinder the evolution of our minds! I see certain things in this piece (fireplace), but they don't reveal what's next to them. Or, the complete story.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
7278 Posts
Posted 11/13/2021   12:47 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stories are likely to have been more evident to viewers at the time they were told. If you look at a painting by anyone from Holbein to Hogarth now, there are numerous references that would have been clearly understood at the time, but can be passed over or not understood today. Religious scenes would have been seen and understood differently in a more religious age.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
38679 Posts
Posted 11/13/2021   01:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I taped a few of these, they were fabulous.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_P..._Masterpiece
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
Posted 11/13/2021   05:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VanNessbullion to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GeoffHa and rod222, thanks so much. I'm eager to begin watching the series you shared via your link provided rod222.
Learn More...
United States
11600 Posts
Posted 11/13/2021   06:15 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The stories are likely to have been more evident to viewers at the time they were told. If you look at a painting by anyone from Holbein to Hogarth now, there are numerous references that would have been clearly understood at the time, but can be passed over or not understood today. Religious scenes would have been seen and understood differently in a more religious age.

Agreed. I have never understood why so many of the paintings of Adam and Eve show them with belly buttons!! Seems to me to be an important detail of the biblical story.

Don
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,263Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05