Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Great Britain - Victoria Five Shillings, Value?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 821Next Topic  
Valued Member

Sweden
112 Posts
Posted 11/14/2021   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ubiyca to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello! I bought this for 2. It has got a nice centering, but a quite heavy cancellation.

What would be the approximate value of this stamp in your opinion?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
863 Posts
Posted 11/14/2021   08:30 am  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It depends upon what value you are asking about.

The value is 2 from the most recent sales transaction.

Are you looking for retail value, insurance (replacement) value, catalog value, or value if you try to sell it? There are many types of value.

I agree with your assessment of centering and cancel. The stamp appears to have faults (major vertical crease and upper right corner crease), which will significantly affect its desirability.

Are you a collector and intend to keep this stamp, or a speculator and want to "flip" it?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Sweden
112 Posts
Posted 11/14/2021   08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ubiyca to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and thank you for taking the time to reply!

I intend to keep it. :-)
Edited by ubiyca - 11/14/2021 09:24 am
Valued Member
Canada
471 Posts
Posted 11/14/2021   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I follow a number of US auctions that occur weekly and monthly. This stamp comes up very often, and used copies seem to sell for just over $20US. I have been looking for an excellent used copy of the 10 Shilling, but they are usually up over $75.
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Edited by Casey Magoo - 11/14/2021 08:50 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8172 Posts
Posted 11/14/2021   08:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are eBay sold results:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/23739/i.ht...H_Complete=1

Given the creases your stamp has it appears that you paid about what the market says you should have paid.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2013 Posts
Posted 11/14/2021   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The cancellation type is relatively common on these higher face value UK stamps.

If I remember correctly it's a registration cancel, but hopefully someone will chime in to confirm.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3923 Posts
Posted 11/14/2021   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm almost certain a Registration cancel. Something very similar on my Scott 142.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35180 Posts
Posted 11/14/2021   9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not a Registration cancel,
It is a rubber hand canceller, for Parcel Post applications.

Hence you generally see them on high value stamps.

Edited by rod222 - 11/14/2021 9:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2013 Posts
Posted 11/14/2021   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod. A nice display!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2808 Posts
Posted 11/14/2021   11:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, the 5/- stamp in the OP isn't too heavily cancelled.

Remember, these read "postage & revenue", too. Something like the 1 stamp could be used to pay postage and duties at the same time. I really like those 1 greens with a neat SOTN Guernsey or Jersey CDS. But most of that amount was for paying duties and only a small part used for the postage. Valuation-wise, they still seem to get treated as fully postal usages.
Edited by hy-brasil - 11/14/2021 11:49 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35180 Posts
Posted 11/15/2021   12:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Philatelic web Guernsey
Possibly correct term should be "Packet / Parcel Cancellation"

Decent returns on readable cancellations.

corrected typo
Edited by rod222 - 11/15/2021 05:22 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2808 Posts
Posted 11/15/2021   06:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Probably going way off the OP but here it is. I was thinking more of the steel die cancels like the Jersey one here:

(currently on eBay, and not my stamp)

Registration cancels of the period (and later) are ovals struck by steel devices, for the most part if not almost exclusively.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35180 Posts
Posted 11/15/2021   09:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Probably going way off the OP but here it is. I was thinking more of the steel die cancels like the Jersey one here:

HB
with respect, I beg to differ, this is still a rubber packet /Parcel
cancellation, maybe the Money Order Department.
Albeit, it has black Ink (a scarcity) most were violet or red ink.

I have an open mind, but remain with my opinion until proven otherwise.

If any members have an address or a link to a Jersey Philatelic Society, please offer it here

emailed the Jersey Post Philatelic Bureau
Edited by rod222 - 11/15/2021 09:44 am
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1483 Posts
Posted 11/28/2021   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jersey and Guernsey circular dated cancellations on these high value stamps, mostly, were used for duties.
Edited by NSK - 11/28/2021 11:26 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 821Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05