Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Turkey/Ottoman Stamps With Strange Overprints

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 692Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Sweden
112 Posts
Posted 11/16/2021   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ubiyca to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello! I have a lot of turkey/ottoman stamps, and many of them have overprints, but these in the picture I can't seem to find in the catalogue. Anyone knows from what decade this is, especially the black "blob" like overprints in the last 3 rows...

I have no idea if these are worth something, or are completely worthless, in any case it's an interesting era.

Best wishes from Dan.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
545 Posts
Posted 11/16/2021   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Dan.

Which catalogue re you using?

Not certain black blob" is a standard philatelic term. However, suggest you take a look at Turkey starting with 1919 issues. Top row (red) is the "soldiers in trench" issue.

Nice selection of stamps. Nothing appears to be of high value.

Yes, some Turkish overprints/surcharges can be challenging.

Have fun.

Several of the "base" issues are listed as 1916 - 1918.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Sweden
112 Posts
Posted 11/16/2021   1:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ubiyca to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for taking the time to answer, appreciate it!

Using and old Michel. But found it now, thanks to you.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5856 Posts
Posted 11/16/2021   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice stamps , most are common the top row may hold the better stamps for a collector .
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 11/16/2021   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Taxpaid Revenuer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All are listed in Scott's. I see the fifth one is a 1917 "bug" overprint in the regular postage section. Most are of the 1914-22 chaotic era. Some are Turkey in Asia (listed after Turkey). Look again, you will find them. You have to check the charity, postage due and postal tax sections to find some overprints/surcharges that look similar to the same overprints on postage issues, especially the star and crescent overprints. The black blobs are from 1919 and commemorate the new sultan's coronation.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35165 Posts
Posted 11/16/2021   4:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The two high value "blobs" if you have those...hooray!
(Armistice)
You have nice stamps, they look in good order.
The puce coloured stamp, is "Turkey in Asia"
(Parliament House in Ankara)

Edited by rod222 - 11/16/2021 4:07 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
106 Posts
Posted 11/16/2021   5:10 pm  Show Profile Check Triangle's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Triangle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hard area to collect!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6380 Posts
Posted 11/16/2021   6:00 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's not actually too bad. I developed a somewhat better-than-basic bunch of Turkey with reference to an old Gibbons Europe catalogue.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
734 Posts
Posted 11/16/2021   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The PTT overprint (bull's head) on the 1886 5 paras (fifth stamp from left on top row) doesn't look good to me, the rest seem to all be genuine. Can you show a higher resolution scan of just the one? It's not expensive, but so many of the PTTs are forged overprints...
Valued Member
Sweden
112 Posts
Posted 11/18/2021   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ubiyca to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35165 Posts
Posted 11/18/2021   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion: Forged
Although these come in less than perfect impressions,
Yours appears to me not acceptable.
I generally "toggle" my stamps against genuine to identify forgeries.
I cannot do that with yours.

Image: Die Kriegsaufdruck-Serien Volume 9
Author : Andreas Birkin.
Valued Member
Sweden
112 Posts
Posted 11/19/2021   05:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ubiyca to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! I think you're right, the two pictures doesn't match very much. :-) lol
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35165 Posts
Posted 11/19/2021   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't be disheartened, I have a lot of dodgy ones in my collection.
I mount them until a better example comes in.

This is what one should be aiming for, crisp clear typography,
and the tiny breaks at the bottom of the overprint, that's where I generally first look

Pillar Of The Community
United States
734 Posts
Posted 11/20/2021   12:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly, and if you have looked at enough of them you can see it even in the tiny scan we started with. :) BTW, the P is the 'horns' at the top and the three dots, the T & T are reversed from each other and form the sides and center dots. The date is 1332 (1917 in our calendar) and they had switched from the six pointed star used in 1915 to a five pointed due to the association with the Star of David. They did some beautiful designs while still using the Turkish script...
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35165 Posts
Posted 11/20/2021   01:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
BTW, the P is the 'horns' at the top and the three dots, the T & T are reversed from each other and form the sides and center dots.

That's new to me, Thank you.
Valued Member
Sweden
112 Posts
Posted 11/20/2021   06:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ubiyca to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have plans to start another collection, of only forgeries. That's mostly what I end up getting anyway ha ha. There are apparently collectors of only forgeries, pretty hilarious and interesting. I'm not disheartened, so don't worry. All collectors have the option to do better research. One of the reasons I often buy used stamps only, and not mint stamps is the risk is smaller of getting these forgeries because I like these old 1800 century stamps. However, even some cancellations are forgeries sometimes as you know lol. I'm from Sweden and have pretty good knowledge of the stamps of my own country and have a good catalogue of this called "Facit", and OK knowledge of the nordic too, Denmark for example. Outside of scandinavia It's another story! Thanks for all replies!
Edited by ubiyca - 11/20/2021 06:24 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 692Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05