Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rare 1928 International Philatelic Exhibition 3d Blue Kookaburra Dry Inking

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,053Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1572 Posts
Posted 11/16/2021   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Rob041256 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1928 International Philatelic Exhibition 3d blue kookaburra with OS puncture. Strip of 3 showing dry ink on left stamp, rare and currently unlisted and only 6 are known to exist. A remarkable specimen of dry inking from the KGV era.

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35504 Posts
Posted 11/16/2021   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice Rob,
what parameters would one be expected to pay for such a singleton?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1572 Posts
Posted 11/17/2021   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi rod222

Quote:
what parameters would one be expected to pay for such a singleton?

It must be my age finally catching up to me but I'm not quite sure what you mean, are you asking how much it cost?

Rob
Edited by Rob041256 - 11/17/2021 4:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8300 Posts
Posted 11/17/2021   5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Benjies, quid, dinaro, moolah, sheckles, bunsen burners, scratch, bucks, c-notes....you know. How much to buy that sucker?!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35504 Posts
Posted 11/17/2021   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Indeed, what would one be expected to pay, in you opinion
for a single stamp evidencing dry ink?
Not asking what you paid for yours, but feel free to broadcast,
if you so wish.

First time I have seen "Rare Item" on a certificate.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1572 Posts
Posted 11/17/2021   8:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lol, I get the message. I have no idea how much a single of this dry-ink is worth on the market as currently there are only 6 known and both are in a strip of three, it originally was a block of 6 but eventually sold as two strips of 3.

Rob
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35504 Posts
Posted 11/17/2021   8:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rob,

Quote:
there are only 6 known

That explains the request.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
77 Posts
Posted 11/17/2021   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RXC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am curious to know what "dry ink" means? I have seen stamps where the printing plate has been under inked resulting in a very light copy, but I don't think that is what you are showing here.

It is a handsome design and a nice looking stamp. Congratulations on owning such a rare item.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1572 Posts
Posted 11/17/2021   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod

All my certificates from Mike Drury and Chris Ceremuga (he always adds the status of the stamps) have their status on them.

Here are just a few.

Great rarity on cover

Extremely rare

Extremely rare. The certificate also identifies the stamp as the only one in existence.

Very rare

Rare
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1572 Posts
Posted 11/17/2021   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod

I miswrote the information concerning 6 being in existence, that is incorrect, I should have written only 2 exist in a strip of 3 stamps as the dry-ink pair originated from a block of 6 stamps that were eventually separated in 2 strips of 3.

The way it was written it sounds as if 6 exist which is incorrect.

Rob
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35504 Posts
Posted 11/17/2021   9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quite a bevy there Rob
correction understood.

RXC
Dry Print.
Best explanation I have seen
Author :Mr. Glen Stephens

For ink to work exactly as intended it must flow at the rate the ink maker anticipated.

Ink for printing offset, recess and rubber stamps pads etc all have vent different viscosity and flow characteristics.

The dry ink occurs in oz stamps mostly on KGV heads, and a little less on early KGVI. i.e. in an era where air conditioning and regular humidity were NOT common - indeed non-existent in printing houses.

As I understand it "Dry Ink" is where the ink was not flowing to the plate in an optimum manner .. most likely in very hot spells (like today) where the viscosity of it gets 'gluggy' and does not run as freely or evenly.

Therefore the print impression is not well inked and looks a little "dry" .. or under-inked.
Edited by rod222 - 11/17/2021 9:13 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1572 Posts
Posted 11/17/2021   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi RXC

Quote:
I am curious to know what "dry ink" means? I have seen stamps where the printing plate has been under inked resulting in a very light copy, but I don't think that is what you are showing here.

Thanks. The first stamp on the left shows the left side of the kookaburra and directly under the bird missing most of the blue from the effects of dry-inking.

Dry inking is when the doctor blade which wipes excess ink from the plates is either too close to the plates and ends up wiping too much ink off leaving area of the plate with very little to no ink, or that the ink mixture and heating was incorrect causing the ink to be thick and the ink sticks to the doctor blade which causes the same effect.

Here is an example of an extreme dry-inking affecting the first 3 stamps on the left leaving the first stamp nearly obliterated.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3957 Posts
Posted 11/17/2021   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll pile on also.

Extremely Rare. Possibly unique as other varieties are known with OS perfin. Shown in a previous thread:

http://goscf.com/t/43534#613254

Pillar Of The Community
4352 Posts
Posted 11/17/2021   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
2 vs 6?
The certificate in the original post states "left stamp is dry ink".
It is silent on the other 2 stamps. Thus are there only 2 stamps known which fully exhibit the dry ink?
If I am reading correctly.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1572 Posts
Posted 11/17/2021   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John Becker

Only the left stamp is affected, the other two are normal. Only two are known to exist from a block of 6 stamps that were later separated into two strips.

2 x dry-ink and 4 x normal issue.

Rob
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1572 Posts
Posted 11/17/2021   10:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Partime

Great certificate, a very desirable stamp.

Rob
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,053Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05