Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Tiny Cover" Attached To 1906 Gainesville FL Post Card

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 413Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
10541 Posts
Posted 11/18/2021   5:36 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Today a friend gifted me this post card knowing that I collect 'tiny covers'. This 'cover attached to post card' is new to me (although I have seen the reverse 'postal card attached to cover'). I know that 'postal card attached to mail' was considered illegal, am I correctly assuming that what is pictured above considered illegal (i.e. against postal regulations)?

The tiny cover has an enclosure which verifies that it was originally attached to post card when sent. I'm not sure that this qualifies for my 'tiny cover' collection but I find it interesting.
Don
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
4353 Posts
Posted 11/18/2021   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't believe these were "illegal", just requiring 2 cents letter postage, if noticed. I'll see if I can dig out a few that were charged due.

Add: Here's one that got caught and charged the letter rate:

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by John Becker - 11/18/2021 5:53 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35509 Posts
Posted 11/18/2021   6:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating..that's a first for me.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1176 Posts
Posted 11/18/2021   11:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You were not to glue (attach) things to a postal card or post card. If that was done and found the card was to be re-rated to first class matter. I too own some of these tiny attached envelope post cards.

Notes on post cards also came in other covers, in this case a hand cover:

The most common cards were the cards with a felt "flag" being glued on the post card. The flag carried a word, usually a town name. To avoid the additional charge the felt flags were replace by ink printed flags as part of the post card design. Below is one with both felt and just ink printed flags. Not caught for postage due.

Caught for postage due:

Edited by Parcelpostguy - 11/19/2021 12:30 am
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
743 Posts
Posted 11/19/2021   03:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could it simply be a form of leporello.

The kind were you pull a little string of pictures or messages out of the envelope.

This would make the tiny cover a part of the postcard and not an extra attached cover.

Edited by Johan Buvelot - 11/19/2021 04:01 am
2 Posts
Posted 01/21/2022   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Posty to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's pretty cool
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 413Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.6 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05