Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

On Line Translators And Philatelic Terms

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 471Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1235 Posts
Posted 11/20/2021   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Timm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Why do on line translators like GOOGLE have a horrible time translating philatelic terms?

Example: With Google I type in Danske Snedkermestres Fællesudstilling af Bohave; the Danish to English reply I get is the same... Danske Snedkermestres Fællesudstilling af Bohave

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7234 Posts
Posted 11/20/2021   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Statistically, philatelic usage of a word happens much less often than most other usages. Creators of the software don't bother with specialized/arcane usege.

Even the best 'hard copy' general dictionaries don't include many specialized terms.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by bookbndrbob - 11/20/2021 1:09 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7936 Posts
Posted 11/20/2021   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes it will translate one word at a time, or part of one word at a time. It sometimes pays to play around with translate a bit.
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
Posted 11/20/2021   1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been dealing with something similar as I begin working on my Hungarian collection. You might try shorter blocks of words from a longer phrase like this.

Danske Snedkermestres -> Danish Cabinet Masters

Fællesudstilling af Bohave -> Joint exhibition of Bohave

It's not perfect, but in my case I've been able to get the gist of the meaning in my Hungarian catalog.

Dale
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35500 Posts
Posted 11/20/2021   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2030 Posts
Posted 11/20/2021   5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
or part of one word at a time

When I was trying to translate some of the terms from Ascher's postal stationery catalogue from German into English, this is how I had to do it in some cases.

Granted, this was over a decade ago.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1235 Posts
Posted 11/22/2021   01:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found a site that does a MUCH better job of translating than GOOGLE.
Try: translate.com

Valued Member
Romania
485 Posts
Posted 11/22/2021   02:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Timm-try "deepL.com"

and "austrianphilately.com" (german-english philatelic dictionary)
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 471Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05